When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Seeking Silent Nights

The Magnificat is Mary’s declaration of her love of God in response to an angel of the Lord [Luke 1:46-56].

I often pray to the Lord that it sure would be a great help if every time He had something to tell me, He would send an angel with the message, because I’ve never been good at picking up hints.  My wife has told me numerous times that I’m not even good at hearing “suggestions.”  It’s usually when I get slapped upside the head with a disastrous result, from something I should have or shouldn’t have done or said, that I perceive the two-by-four embedded in my skull.

But that’s on me.  I try to hear what people are saying to me and try even harder to understand what Marilyn is saying.  But either lack of attention or one of the indignities of old age deny me comprehension of those communications.

It’s even harder to hear and understand what God might be trying to say to me.  I think if I would stop complaining, requesting help or doing all the talking in my prayers, I might hear His voice in the silence. It seems very timely during these last few days of Advent to seek silent nights, and in doing so, like the shepherds who attended their flocks, we too may hear a voice leading us to Him [Luke 2:8-14]. 

No comments: