When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, December 25, 2021

The journey begins

 

As I sit at my computer tonight after a long Christmas Day filled with family gift-giving and fun, I’m regretting the practice of discarding all things Christmas so soon after December 25, as if the journey is complete.  Maybe it’s because we begin celebrating the holy day six weeks or more before the feast that, by the time Christmas Day comes and goes, we’re done.  Trees are discarded to the curb, wreaths and stockings are packed away, wrapping paper and creche are stored until next year.

But for me, as I grow older, I cherish the days that take us from the Nativity to the Epiphany, perhaps more so in this unbelievably difficult year.  These are the days that carry the most Christmas meaning precisely because the hype is over and life calms down.  It’s this image of “the journey” that resonates within me.  It’s a journey that can only begin with the birth of Jesus.

Certainly, Mary and Joseph making their way to Bethlehem and the journey of the wise men come to mind, but so too the journey the Holy Family took to Egypt to seek safety.  Less known—but certain nonetheless—is the journey back to the fields of the shepherds where they shared their experience at the manger in Bethlehem.  I recall an old move (perhaps 30 years ago?) movie starring Martin Sheen, The Fourth Wise Man, the story of another wise man whose own journey to Bethlehem was waylaid only to find Jesus, finally, in Jerusalem on the Cross.

“It’s the journey, not the destination” is a familiar saying that urges us not miss what is happening now, not to be blind to the graces in the moment.  Christmas didn’t end yesterday; it only just began.  It’s okay to put away the Christmas decorations, but maybe we can see that as preparing ourselves for our own Christmas journey in the days and year ahead.  What experiences of the birth of Jesus will I share with those I encounter along the way, on my Christmas journey that begins today?


No comments: