When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, January 20, 2022

The message of reconciliation


 In the Old Testament reading I reflected on today, Saul was trying to kill David and was searching for David [I Samuel 24: 3-21].  David was hiding in a cave.  David was tempted to seek revenge on Saul but didn’t.  I interpreted this reading to be about forgiveness and reconciliation.  David quoted an old proverb: “From the wicked comes forth wickedness.”  It makes me think about the times I can be small and petty and disgruntled and do something to get back at someone else.  Coming from a place of darkness and meanness can lead to more darkness and meanness.  David’s restraint from violence was the beginning of peace and reconciliation between the two.  David did the generous and right thing by not attacking Saul when Saul didn’t expect the attack.  David admitted that he cut the mantel, but he refrained from injury and death and more darkness.  It’s often so easy to go to that place where we think we deserve to be petty and small and disgruntled.  But if we stay there, we won’t ever be in the light.  Saul was moved with gratitude and asked for forgiveness from David.  Saul then said to David: “You are in the right rather than I; you have treated me generously, while I have done you harm.” [I Samuel 24: 18]

Saint Paul reminds us that “God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.” [2 Corinthians 5:19] In a world that often seems consumed by division and polarization, we need that message of reconciliation.  We can change and become new, thanks to God’s love.   

I can live my life with God’s message of reconciliation by starting with the “Our Father,” where we ask for forgiveness for our own sins “as we forgive those who trespass against us.”  We have to forgive – to take the generous stance as David did – if we’re to be trusted with the message of reconciliation.

So as I pray the “Our Father” tonight, I’ll reflect on the reconciliation that’s necessary in my own life for me to live a life in the light.

No comments: