When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, February 11, 2022

A hunger for Jesus

A favorite thing that I like to do when reading Scriptures is to watch Jesus and to see how He reacts to people.  In Mark’s gospel, Jesus’ heart went out to the people who had been out in a “deserted place” for “three days now” to hear Him and found themselves facing a journey home without food [Mark 8:1-10].  I can identify with the situation.  I’ve found myself reluctant to follow Jesus out to a deserted place, for fear I might starve to death there.  My self-sufficiency has kept me, at times, from encountering Jesus out to a special place He’s trying to lead me.

Like me, the disciples gave up, in the face of this seemingly impossible situation.  They pointed out the obvious. They couldn't possibly feed this crowd and there was no place to get enough food, even if they wanted to.  I too have felt sent/missioned to a place or situation which seems overwhelming.  I've observed the obvious. This isn't doable. There doesn't seem to be any room for grace here.

Jesus just asked them what they did have to work with.  Seven loaves and a few fish.  Jesus did what He does in the Eucharist each time we celebrate it. "Then, taking the seven loaves he gave thanks, broke them, and gave them to his disciples to distribute, and they distributed them to the crowd."  The people "ate and were satisfied."  And from the seven loaves there were seven baskets of leftovers.

A miracle for sure, but also a message.  When we feel empty and discouraged - in whatever situation we find ourselves - we can bring what we have - no matter how poor it seems - and Jesus will take it and bless it and break it to be distributed.  I can't recount the number of times I've experienced my poverty in doing something and discovered that when I surrendered my control of it all and let go to let Jesus work through me, the result was far beyond what I could have accomplished on my own.  Seven baskets of leftovers and more.

If we hunger for the things of God, if we seriously seek to place ourselves absolutely in His hands in every way, we too will receive what we need, our “daily bread,” both physically and spiritually.  We might prefer other, richer “foods” — nicer family members and co-workers, resolution of our doubts, warm and fuzzy feelings, spiritual gifts and illuminations — but faith and hope mean that we believe firmly and constantly and despite all misleading movements of our hearts that what God gives us is actually what we most need.  It demands a childlike trust and a willingness to endure the difficult and apparently pointless and even to thank God for it.

 I’ve also experienced turning something over to Jesus and didn't get what I hoped or didn't experience any "miracle."  I think that’s when I have to bring my brokenness and weariness and fragility and inability to dare to hope any more to the Eucharist.  That’s where Jesus takes our ordinary offering and transforms it to feed us with His body and blood.  He feeds us with His sacrifice of Himself on the Cross.  He nourishes us with the gift of life everlasting.  It’s His mercy on my sin and the sins of the world.  And it’s His holy communion with us that not only comforts us - that we know we’re not alone - but consecrates us with a union with Him which allows us to be like Him, even with Him, in bringing faith and life to other discouraging desert situations.  When I move from "Where's my miracle?" to giving thanks and praise for receiving the gift of union with Jesus in the Eucharist, grace happens. And there will be seven baskets of leftovers.

To truly seek God is to go wherever He leads us, into richer or poorer, sickness or health, wherever.  And that’s where—in His provident wisdom and His careful love—He feeds His children the best.

I am reminded of a story that I once read.  In 1945 some American G.I.'s were helping the Germans rebuild a small town outside of Munich.  The Catholics there had built a beautiful church dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  In the rear of the church, there had been a hand carved statue of Jesus.  When the soldiers pieced the statue back together, they discovered that the only parts missing were the hands.  So they fashioned a sign which they placed around the neck of the statue.  It read - "He has no hands but yours."

Jesus reaches out to us today, asking us to reach out with Him to each other. 

No comments: