When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, February 18, 2022

"This is my Son. I love Him. Listen to Him!"

 

Listen to him.

As a benefit of my job, I frequently got to attend daily Mass in a lot of different towns throughout the central valley of California.  Because a lot of the towns are farming communities relying heavily on migrant labor, many of the Masses are celebrated in Spanish.  One particular church in a community right outside of Bakersfield is an old-style, obviously poor parish.  It is simply constructed and not very ornate, but it does have a very "Mexican Peasant" flavor, down to the dollar bills and rosaries that are "tucked" into the arms of the statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe, reminiscent of the churches I’ve seen in Mexico and South America.

I was privileged to attend a daily Mass in this church several years ago.  As I read the Gospel of Saint Mark, and his account of the Transfiguration of Jesus [Mark 9:2-13] today, I was reminded of one particularly special day. 

When I arrived, there was no one in the church, but the doors were open.  I entered a pew a few rows back from the altar and started to pray my rosary, since I was about 20 minutes early.  I had my eyes closed (it helps me concentrate if I'm not letting my eyes wander) and I guess I was so into it that I didn't hear the church filling up.  When I was finished, I saw that almost every seat was filled! I definitely felt out of place!  My sense of humor being what it is, I chuckled softly and said to myself, "This must be what Custer felt like at Little Big Horn!  One white guy in the middle of all those ‘Injuns’!”  I had a definite advantage over Custer, however—I knew I was among fellow members of the Body of Christ.  I noticed the priest looking directly at me and smiling as if he knew what I was thinking! 

The Gospel was read, followed by a fifteen-minute homily—all in Spanish.  I must have looked confused as I tried to pick out words I knew in Spanish and make sense of them, because when he was finished with his homily the priest looked directly at me and asked, "How much Spanish do you know?"  To which I replied, "Practically, none."  He said, "Then I will give you the abbreviated version of what I just preached so you can have something to take with you."  I told him I appreciated his concern and listened to a homily that obviously came from his heart.  When he had said it in Spanish, he was pretty animated—I got the watered-down version, but the ‘spirit’ was still there.  To this day, I’m grateful that he noticed my discomfort at having to strain to find words I understood and made something cohesive out of it and gave me a "personal" homily I could not only ‘hear’, but ‘listen’ to.  After Mass, I had several parishioners thank me for coming that day.  What a great experience!

I have often wondered, likely as have many others, what it must have been like to listen to Jesus.  I wonder about His voice, His mannerisms, and His tone.  I wonder what it would have felt like to be in a crowd and for His eyes to rest on me, even for a moment.  What if He were speaking only to me, one-on-one?  For reasons like this I envy those who had the chance to walk with Him and hear Him.

Mark’s account of the Transfiguration and Saint James’ Epistle [James 3:1-10], at first, seem to be about speaking; more specifically, humanity's misuse of speech.  We have a knack for taking extraordinary gifts and misusing them, don't we?  As James tells us, this need not be so.

As it turns out, the verses aren’t about speaking at all.  At least, not about our speaking.  After seeing Jesus transfigured, Peter spoke although He hardly knew what to say, they were so terrified.  Then came the Father's voice from the clouds: “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him.”

Listen to him.

Unlike Peter, James and John we didn’t see Jesus transfigured.  Unlike Jesus' contemporaries, we haven’t heard His voice with our own ears.  Is it a taller order for us to carry out the Father's command here and now than it was for Peter, James and John who saw and heard these things?  I don't know.  But I'm inclined to keep trying.

I think the message of the gospel for us today is to take the words of God the Father from the Transfiguration as addressed to ourselves.  Just as He called the apostles long ago, God is calling us today to listen to the words of Jesus.  He’s asking us not merely to hear the words of Jesus, but to really and truly listen to them.  God wants us to listen very carefully to the words of Jesus that we hear in sacred scripture and in the teachings of the Church.  He’s calling us to imitate the apostles in our devotion to the following of Jesus.

No comments: