When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, March 19, 2022

Burning Bush moments

 


When I read from the book of Exodus today,  I was struck by the fact that Moses’ life and vocation were changed forever because he was aware of what was happening around him, he took the time to investigate, he was open to God, and he was willing to engage and listen.

Sure, a burning bush that doesn’t consume itself is a curiosity, but still, a burning bush is not utterly unique, and if he had been wrapped up in his own problems or thoughts, or in a hurry, he could have easily passed by, assuming the bush would soon burn up or that someone else would be along to tend to it.

How often do we pass by someone or something that could transform us, if we were open to them or it? Would God necessarily speak to us directly and give us a message as important as the message God gave Moses? Maybe not, but maybe. God does have desires and plans for each of us, just as God had desires and plans for Moses.

I think each of us can think back to special people and happenings in our lives that have changed us forever and brought great blessings into our lives.

Fresh out of high school, my plan was to get a college degree in Police Science, go into law enforcement, and maybe, after twenty years or so, run for political office. One person that made an enormous impression upon me and changed the course of my life was a co-worker I met while working at McDonalds earning money for my tuition; but my heart wasn’t in it, and I was ready to quit.  My co-worker was a man whose only responsibilities were chatting with customers and bussing their tables after they left.  If it was my job, I would have been sad and angry, and bored.  Not Dennis!  He amazed me with his ability to show up on time, in uniform, and cheerful every single day—despite the fact he lived alone and had no driver license.  You see, he was severely physically and mentally handicapped.  We became pretty good friends, and he invited me out for drinks after work one evening.  He explained that his car stalled on some railroad tracks some years earlier, and he was struck by a train going an estimated 60-70 miles an hour.  He said that he was in a coma for over a year, but through the grace of God and great doctors he learned how to walk, speak, and function again, albeit in a diminished capacity.  He had been perusing a career in mathematics, but he felt no regrets!  I feel that he was definitely a messenger from God, and he taught me many things about life and faith, even without being aware he was doing so!  His story, and the impression he made on me made me realize that I could make this restaurant business a career, instead of law enforcement and politics, and I stayed with McDonalds.  If not for that decision I would not have met my wife and have the greatest family a man can ask for!  

Each of us have many special encounters like these, and more, if we’re open and responsive to the Lord.  Let us pray that we use the remaining time in Lent to reflect upon the many times God has spoken to our hearts throughout the course of our lives, and to ask for a renewed sense of the Divine here and now, and in the days and years to come.

No comments: