When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Grace is not rationed

 

At wartime, when soldiers have a scarce amount of food, they have to ration it.  They only eat small, measured portions each day so that the food will last as long as possible.  If they do not, they may run out and starve. 

What if this were the case with God and His grace?  What if the Holy Spirit were to say to us, “Now I’m only going to help you to a limited degree.  Once you use up the grace I’m offering you, you’re on your own.”  Ouch!  That would be problematic.

I’d like to picture myself as one who exudes a loving peace and calm, leading a constant interior prayer life and always connected in some mystical way the Holy Spirit. .... But I'm not like that.

Instead, I’m more “high energy” (translation: impatient), tapping my feet and drumming my fingers at lines, waiting, traffic, frustrating situations, etc.  Yet sometimes, I’m flooded with the grace of patience and a peace in the midst of a situation that would normally be stressful.  I can recognize it right away and always feel grateful to the Holy Spirit for this new patience and peace that I’m certain doesn’t emanate from me.

John Gospel notes that the gifts of the Spirit are not rationed [John 3:31-36].  Instead those graces are given with a generous and overflowing love.  The fruits of the Holy Spirit are clear in our lives when we recognize them.  They include peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, charity and joy.  He doesn’t ration His gift of the Spirit.

And I think the opposite of these gifts are also clear.  When our days are filled with gossip, criticism and judgments, we’ve lost touch with the Spirit.  If we can easily see how others could improve their lives and we hold tightly to the grudges in our hearts, we’ve forgotten the generous heart of the Spirit Who is constantly pouring down graces on us.

No comments: