When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Second (third, fourth, fifth....) chances

 

I re-read Peter’s address to the crowd in Acts 3 today [Acts 3:11-16].  I found it to be quite humorous as I thought of Peter addressing the crowd with such self-assurance, and such self-confidence that he was almost condescending!  Not long before this speech before the Sanhedrin, it was Peter himself dropping the keys after being installed as prince of the apostles, given the keys to the kingdom of heaven, and called “rock” (or Cephas) by Jesus!  Shortly after that Jesus called him Satan because he tried to derail Jesus from His vocation (“Get behind me!”) [Matthew 16:13-23].  So, when Peter proclaimed, “Why are you amazed at this, and why do you look so intently at us as if we had made him walk by our own power or piety?” it brought to mind the Gospel when Jesus, in the upper room after the Resurrection, had asked His disciples — Peter included — a question as well, “Why are you troubled? And why do questions arise in your hearts?” [Luke 24:36-49].

But I’m really no different than Peter; my faith can swing from certitude to doubt in a moment.  So, I have a special place in my heart for what I’ve come to call the “second chance” narratives in the Gospels.  Like when Jesus told the parable of the unproductive fig tree; the owner wished to cut it down because after three years it still produced no fruit.  But his servant offered to cultivate around it and fertilize and give it a little more time [Luke 13:1-9].  A second chance.

There’s also the story in Mark 8 when Jesus heals the blind man of Bethsaida, but the man responds, “Yes, I can see, but people appear like trees walking!”  And Jesus must try again, healing the man for the second time [Mark 8:22-26].

I don’t know about anybody else, but I’m glad to be given a second chance.  And a third, and…

No comments: