When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Trust in the Spirit

 

Called.  Beckoned.  Invited.  Encouraged.  Challenged.  Directed.  Pushed.  Pulled.  What incentivizes me, us, to move forward?  Some of these verbs have positive, others negative, personal associations.  For me, the earliest calling I remember is my mother calling my four brothers and me to come home for dinner from wherever she knew we’d be.  We five brothers responded immediately and enthusiastically!  We trusted our past experiences – most days dinner was to our liking.  Not always.  Still, I trusted my mother – always.  I trusted what she offered was good for me, even if hard to swallow.

In the gospel, we hear John the Baptist referring to Jesus say, “Behold the Lamb of God” [John 1:29-34].  Twice in this reading we also hear John the Baptist say in reference to Jesus, “I did not know him”.  However, John trusted “the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, “On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one…””.  John trusted the one and same Spirit, who had called him to “…baptize with water…”  John the Baptist trusted the Spirit.

What am I to do?  I desire to listen more closely for the Spirit and to trust.  To respond clearly and honestly, “I am here Lord” [Psalms 40:2-10].  To act in faith.  I desire not to be who I once was, but to recognize the presence of the Spirit in me, with me, in others, in nature and in all expressions of life – even if it is hard to swallow.

Glorious Lamb of God, You have come and taken away the sins of the world through the sacrifice of Your sacred life on the Cross. Please help me to understand Who You are and all that You have done for me, especially every time I come to behold You and receive You in Holy Communion. Jesus, I trust in You.


No comments: