When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Uncovering the light

 

I have always felt that the parables that Jesus used are excellent teaching tools.  We may not understand them at first or second reading, but they engage our minds, are memorable, and invite us to discern a meaning.  They may speak to us of personality, the senses, the nature of light, the perception of things and even interpersonal relations.  Sometimes light is just light; sometimes it's "divine light,” the clarity, or better, the lucidity that is provided by the word of God.  Did Jesus use parables in His ministry to clarify spiritual issues, or did He use them to allow us to personally focus on and analyze His spiritual message?  At any rate, they’re more than just “sayings.”  Mark includes several parables in his Gospel passages that I read today [Mark 4:21-25].  I can only respond with my impressions (reflections) for each parable.  Certainly, many of you may have other, deeper meanings.

Place your light on the lampstand; let it shine.  Let the light of your faith conquer the darkness.

For the early Christian community, being too visible was a dangerous proposition as they were often persecuted for their faith. The Christian community needed encouragement to live faithful lives openly and boldly.

Nothing is truly hidden unless it may again be made visible.

We all have “lights” that need to shine, to brighten our world. Too often, though, we’ve been told not to brag, to be humble.  That false humility is like putting a basket over the light.  And like Jesus in the Gospel story and St. Paul in his letters to Timothy and Titus, we need someone to call us to share our light with others. St. Paul—always on a mission to spread the Word of God—often circled back to those nascent faith communities that often struggled as all human communities do.  Very often he had to encourage the local leaders, like Timothy and Titus, to lead by setting themselves as on a lampstand for their light to shine [2 Timothy 1:1-8, Titus 1:1-5].

Anyone who has ears that are functional should hear but do so with discernment. Be open to the word of God but beware of lies and false prophets.

If we’re open to the words of Jesus, we’ll receive a true vision of the path that God has prepared for us.  Share this with others and we will be even richer in our faith.

“To one who has, more will be given.”

If we have no faith and are not moved by the word of God, we will come away with nothing to give to others. Anyone may be poor in material things, but rich in faith. Our priorities clearly need to be aligned with our ability to discern God’s will for us and our need or duty to share our grace with our brothers and sisters in Christ.

If you measure a person or a thing, be sure that you expect the same measure to be used to evaluate you.  Another thought may be to “do unto others as you would have them do unto you. “

I can point to important moments in my life where another person challenged me to take my light from under the basket to let it shine.  Sometimes someone saw some trait in me that I couldn’t see for myself.  Other times, a person challenged me to move beyond the safety of my small world and to take a leap of faith.  Still others asked me to help with a project that I would not have on my own volunteered for.  I’m grateful for how others encouraged me to uncover the light within, those gifts that are mine to share.

As we reflect on and are grateful for those who encouraged us to live a life of faith fully and boldly, perhaps we can reflect on the times that we were that encouragement for others.  How can we call others to take the lamp from under the basket so it can light up the world just a bit more?

My glorious Judge, I thank You for Your mercy and forgiveness in my life.  I thank You for freeing me from all sin.  Please continue to purify my soul and free me from even the attachment to all sin.  May I never forget all that You have done for me, and may Your mercy become the cause of my eternal rejoicing and Your eternal glory.  Jesus, I trust in You.

No comments: