When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, February 26, 2023

Abundantly clear direction

“For I was hungry, and you gave me food…”

When my daughter Sarah was about 8 years old, my family decided we wanted to eat out.  As is often the case, we were in the mood for Mexican food.  We went to a restaurant downtown that had very good food and was easy on the pocketbook.  The only concern we had was that it was a neighborhood that most people would consider “dangerous,” because one is always confronted by a panhandler--which doesn’t make the area “dangerous,” just “poor”.

Sarah couldn’t finish her meal, and asked the waitress to box it up so she could eat it the next day.  On our way out we were approached by a disheveled man who asked for some money so he could “get something to eat”.  My first thought was “I just bet that’s why you want the money.  To ‘eat.’  Right.  It’s probably to go down to the liquor store and buy a bottle of wine.  I’m not going to help you kill yourself.  So leave me alone.”

But before I could express those thoughts by simply ignoring the guy and walking along, Sarah said “Here, sir” and handed her leftover meal to the man!  He was so hungry he opened it right there and “wolfed” it down, proving that he was, indeed, hungry and not just another drunk.  He thanked Sarah for the food, said “God Bless you”, and moved on.  I was so ashamed of myself for that day, but thankful to God that he blessed me with such a compassionate child.

“…naked and you clothed me…”

Several years ago, my mother-in-law was cleaning out some closets and came across a couple of WWII vintage army blankets that belonged to my father-in-law.  One was in excellent shape and the other had a slight tear on one edge.  We decided to keep the good one as a memento, but we put the other in a bag, hoping to drop it off at a homeless shelter, because they can always use blankets.  I put it in the trunk of my car and forgot about it.

About a month later, I was sitting in my office looking out the window as the wind blew and the rain was getting heavy from a cloudburst, and I saw him.  We’ve all seen him—he’s pushing a shopping cart or carrying a black trash bag and rummaging through trash bins and landscaping looking for recyclables that he can turn into cash.  He’s in every city in the country.   That day he poked his head into my office.  "Do you have any cans or bottles I can take off of your hands today?", he asked rather pleasantly.  I replied "Sorry, not today!" hoping (I'm sorry to admit) he would beat a hasty retreat back outside where he could "bother" someone else.

He started out the door then turned back toward me and said, "Do you mind if I wait out the storm in here?  It's kind of cold and wet out there and I don't have a coat."   I suddenly remembered the blanket that had been sitting in my trunk.  "Come with me", I said.  I took him out to my car and opened the trunk.  I handed him the army blanket and said, "I've been waiting for you".  He said "Wow!  This is great!  I don't have a blanket.  It's awfully cold some nights."  I also had in my trunk a hooded coat that I didn’t wear very often because of some slight tears in the fabric.  I handed that to him as well and said, "God bless you, I think this will fit you."

With that, he started walking off (I think) with his head held a little higher than when I first met him ten minutes earlier.

What a loving God we have that guides His sheep to those who can supply just what they need when they need it!

“…ill and you cared for me; in prison and you visited me.”

Sometime mid-morning on Holy Thursday 2009, there was a knock on my mother’s door.  She was 90 years old at the time.  She had taken a tumble earlier in the week and was very sore and bruised not only physically, but mentally, too.  Because even at that age, she was still very mobile and active and when she was restricted from leaving the house due to soreness and pain, it took a toll on her usual zest for life.  She was quite “blue” and feeling "imprisoned."

She answered the door, and there stood Joey Long and another young man (I think it was his brother) with a bag of cookies that he presented to her saying that he heard she was under the weather (how he found out is still a mystery to me) and thought that some cookies at Easter would cheer her up.  He handed her a bag that said, “Happy Easter from Joey Long, 3rd Grade”.  My mother waved to Joey’s mother who was waiting in the car for Joey to complete his mission of mercy and love.

I arrived at my mom’s home at about 5 o’clock as I had promised to take her and a neighbor to Mass and she related the story to me.  Although she was in no shape to attend Mass that evening, she encouraged me to go anyway, so I met with her neighbor and the two of us went as planned.

During the Gospel reading at the Mass, I was moved to tears as a passage from John’s Gospel was read.  "I give you a new commandment: love one another.  As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." [John 13:35-35]

I remember thinking to myself, “Joey Long and everyone who is responsible for teaching him the love he showed my mother tonight —from his parents, to his teachers and his family—must be true disciples of Christ.”

The final judgement

At one definitive moment in the future, the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity, now also in human form as the “Son of Man,” will return to earth in glory surrounded by all the angels of Heaven and will sit upon His new and glorious throne.  In front of that throne, every person of every nation ever to exist will be gathered together, and each person will be judged according to their deeds.  Those who served our Lord and treated the least of His brothers and sisters with mercy and compassion will hear Jesus say, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father.  Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.”   Those who did not serve Christ and did not treat the least ones with mercy will be sent off to eternal punishment as Jesus says to them, “Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and his angels.”  On that day, only one thing will matter, because eternity will be determined with permanence.  All that will matter is whether you will be placed on our Lord’s right so as to inherit eternal life, or on His left and sent into the eternal fires.

Sometimes, as we journey through life, we can lose sight of this glorious day.  When we think of God and Heaven, it’s easy to fall into the presumption that Heaven is guaranteed to us.  God is kind and merciful, and He loves us.  Therefore, we presume that Heaven is for certain and only the most horrible people will end in hell.  But that’s not how Jesus depicts the Day of Judgment.

Jesus explains that at the time of judgment, the righteous will be astonished by the fact that caring for those who are hungry, thirsty, a stranger, naked, ill, or imprisoned was the same as showing love for God.  Likewise, those who neglected the same people will be astonished that they failed to love God by failing to love the least of Jesus’ brothers and sisters.  Don’t take this teaching lightly.  Jesus doesn’t mince His words.  He is abundantly clear and definitive.

Many of us look the other way when Jesus presents us with an opportunity to help our neighbor.  The only asset we need to fulfill this commandment is Love.  Be Christ to others.  Don’t worry about their color, their wealth, or their clothes.  Let God bring people into your path who you can share even a moment’s joy with and give yourself the opportunity to feel the blessing of kindness to another human being.

Most merciful Lord, Your compassion is great, and Your judgment is real. Help me to always keep my mind upon that final and glorious day on which You will return in all Your splendor and glory to judge the living and the dead. May I truly heed Your words and prepare for that day by loving You in all people, especially in those most in need. Jesus, I trust in You.


No comments: