When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

I could certainly use a little salvation today!

 

Almost every day, someone will ask me, “How are you?”  Most often I quickly respond: “I’m good,” or “I’m fine,” or perhaps even, “I’m great!”  I’ll admit though that occasionally, I’d rather answer: “Well, I’m a little desolate today,” or “If you really want to know, I’m missing a few pieces of happiness,” or, even better, “I certainly feel the need to be redeemed!”  Not only would such unexpected proclamations get the inquirer’s attention, but they’re also much more appropriate for this season of Lent.  Lenten people don’t go around shouting, “All’s well with me!”  Rather, they gladly acknowledge, “I need to be healed.  I want to be restored.”

A passage from Isaiah is an exultant declaration of God’s undying love for us and fervent desire to help us [Isaiah 49:8-15].  Its joyous life-saving message is that God wants to heal, restore, liberate, and gently draw us back to life; but God’s extravagant blessings can only go as far as our confession of need.  The passage overflows with images of restoration and redemption.  Through the prophet, God declares this “the day of salvation.” God speaks of wanting to guide us to pastures where we shall neither “hunger nor thirst” and lead us to “springs of water” where we will forever be renewed.  Isaiah tells us that God, like all good lovers, wants to comfort and care for us; heal every hurt and wounded place of our lives; free us from all that burdens and oppresses us; and do whatever is necessary to make us whole.  Isaiah depicts a God eager to help and anxious to save.  But God can’t do much for people who masquerade at wholeness and tiresomely pretend that all’s well.

Lent is a time to be redeemed (really, every day is), but if all is well with us, there’s little for a loving redeemer to do.  That’s why the next time somebody asks me, “How are you?” I should jubilantly respond, “I could certainly use a little salvation today!”  If I do, the prophet guarantees us that amazing things will happen.

No comments: