When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, December 11, 2023

God never gives up on us


 “In just the same way, it is not the will of your heavenly Father that one of these little ones be lost.”  (Matthew 18:14)

Jesus makes this statement after telling the parable of the one lost sheep.  The shepherd leaves the ninety-nine and goes searching diligently for that little one.  The parable goes on to state that, “If he finds it, amen, I say to you, he rejoices more over it than over the ninety-nine that did not stray” (Matthew 18:13).

We are all “one of these little ones.”  At first, it may seem unfair that the shepherd rejoices more over the one lost sheep than over the ninety-nine.  But if we understand that each and every one of us is that one lost sheep, it makes sense.

As I ponder this parable, I think it’s essential that I reflect upon the deep desire of the Shepherd to find me.  I look at His concern, His tireless effort and His diligence in seeking me out.  This is the care God has for me, and for each of us.

I am reminded of an experience I had many years ago.  When I was working, I had to drive a lot and stay out of town longer than I would be at home with the family.  There were days when I was so lonely for them, I would almost be in tears.  I was having one of those days when I turned on the car radio and Mother Angelica (the foundress of EWTN) was on.  Actually, the program was reruns of the weekly shows she hosted from 1983 to 2001.  She was talking about loneliness and feeling “lost”.   She said something that was obvious, yet deep at the same time: “We only feel lonely when we think we’re alone.”  At first, I thought “Duh”.   But the deeper I thought about it, I realized that we’re never alone, we need not feel lonely.  Jesus will always be there, but we need to get to know Him better so that it will be easier to recognize Him.  

The best way to get to know Him is to talk with Him in prayer and listen to Him in meditation.

As the Psalms proclaim: "Offer to God praise as your sacrifice and fulfill your vows to the Most High; Then call upon me in time of distress; I will rescue you, and you shall glorify me." (Psalms 50:14-15)

Being lonely and “lost” in our sin is not a pleasant experience.  Sin brings fear, despair, confusion, anger and the like.  But if we can turn our eyes to the Good Shepherd in the midst of our sinfulness, we will regain hope.  We will regain hope that our God cares for us so much that He will never stop searching for us.  And when He finds us, His heart will be filled with the greatest joy!

No comments: