When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Reading the signs through the lens of faith

 

My reflection today started with a couple of significant contrasts in Scripture that struck me as I read about Gabriel’s announcement to Mary. 

The first contrast is between today’s gospel (Luke 1:26-38), Gabriel’s visit to Zechariah the father of John the Baptist (Luke 1:5-25), and several other stories of conceptions.  In those readings we are told of a child conceived as God’s answer to a woman’s request: Manoah’s wife [the mother of Samson] (Judges 13), Sarah [the mother of Isaac] (Genesis 21), Hannah [the mother of Samuel] (1Samuel 1:9-20), and Elizabeth (Zechariah’s wife).  In today’s gospel reading the conception of Jesus is a woman’s answer to God’s request.  This is the first contrast, indeed quite a contrast.

A second contrast is Mary’s reaction to Gabriel’s announcement compared to that of Zechariah’s, when told of Elizabeth’s coming pregnancy: how do I know?  Give me a sign.  I suspect that Zechariah was sorry he asked for a sign that cost him his speech until after the child was born.  Mary doesn’t ask for a sign. She does ask a question, yet it’s not a question of doubt, but rather a question asking for guidance: how do I go about what you’re asking of me?  A second contrast.

God is offering us signs in the events and circumstances of our daily living.  But we need to recognize the signs –signs of the times– that are already there and for this we need a faith vision.  Events and circumstances are only data, and they are the same for both believers and unbelievers.  Faith vision helps us to find in them a faith meaning, which in turn leads us to a faith response to the same data.

I am reminded of my own experience that seemed, at first glance, to be devastating for me.  I was struggling to support my family by working full-time at Thrifty Drug Stores in the early 90’s as a store manager.  The company was going through what turned out to be its demise by the end of the decade, and I was worried I would lose my job.  I had been promoted to be a “floating manager” of sorts, filling in for sick days and vacations for other managers.  It required me to drive a minimum of 4 hours each day in addition to a full 9-hour shift, and often on Sundays as well, leaving me little time with my family, or to attend Mass every Sunday or visit my mother as often as possible.  So I was getting frustrated and worried about the future. 

I prayed that God would send me some sort of assurance (a “sign”) that I was still in His good graces.  I was very specific in my prayer.  I prayed that I would be transferred closer to home, with time to worship on Sundays (at least), and that it could allow me more time to visit with my mother, who was by then living by herself in a small apartment in Lodi.  The day came that I was notified my position was being eliminated and my employment terminated.  As I said, I was devastated.  What was I going to do now?  This wasn’t what I asked God for!

I made a commitment to myself and my wife that I would find another job somewhere as quickly as possible with the intention of possibly going back to school as well, and study to be a pharmacist.  Again, God had other plans for me.

A few days after leaving Thrifty, I saw an ad in the paper that U-Haul was hiring Manager Trainees.  The pay wasn’t great—in fact, I would be seeing an almost 50% cut in pay from what I was making at Thrifty, but the benefits were outstanding, and I needed those desperately since we had two children at home to take care of.  I went through a pretty rigorous interview process with about 40 other candidates for the position at one of three locations.  I was chosen as one of the three new hires!  There were two positions available in Stockton, where I live, and one in Lodi (8 miles from Stockton), so I would be close to home.  I would have to work 5 full days and one half-day, but I would get Sundays off.  And the position assigned to me was the store in Lodi, which is located across the street from where my mother was living!

I realized rather quickly that all three of my prayer requests were met! The events were not how I had envisioned they would be, but that career move provided me with: the opportunity to visit mom at least weekly and sometimes even more; to spend more time at home with my wife and children; a place of employment for the next 25 years until retirement in pretty good financial and physical shape; and most importantly, to spend more time in worship of my God, who is so good to me.

It's all about reading the signs through the eyes of faith.

No comments: