When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Lent is a time to review and renew

 

St. Paul of the Cross, Founder of the Passionists shared the meaning of prayer in a dialogue with Sister Maria Cherubina Bresciani, May 31, 1740:

“Prayer is accessible to us in every moment of every day.  It is our immediate connection with a God who is both transcendent and immanent.  Prayer can be verbal, meditative, or contemplative. We can pray with our whole body through movement, ritual actions or by serving others.”

The rosary fits into a whole lot of those categories if you ask me.  But the Psalms also remind us to, “Be still and know that I am God”. (Psalm 46:10)

Lent is a time to renew and intensify our relationship with Jesus.  I’ve found that it’s relatively easy to take time out of the busyness of daily life and spend 15 minutes talking with our God or in silence just being.  You can pray while jogging or walking or just being still sitting and enjoying the silence.  How much time daily are you willing to enhance your relationship with God this Lent?

As I’ve been writing about the last few days, the rosary is an important part of my everyday life experience.  Meditating on the “Mysteries” in the life of Jesus and Mother Mary is what keeps my mind on the prayer.  Otherwise, the repetition of the prayers can get monotonous.    

When I started praying the rosary in earnest, I was grateful for other sources of inspiration for reflection.  The more I’ve prayed the rosary, the more comfortable I’ve become in infusing my own life into the meditations.  Over the years that I’ve been praying the rosary, I’ve come across many, many different meditations for each of the “Mysteries” in the life of Jesus and His mother.  For Lent, I hope to present meditations in two formats for each of them; a brief two to four paragraph meditation and a set of Scriptural meditations said before each Hail Mary. 

I find myself using one method or the other, depending on my state of mind or my attention span on any given day.  Most days though, I prefer the brief meditation.  A few weeks ago during one of my reflections I noticed how often I used or thought about the words “up”, “down”, “high”, “low”, and other directional words and phrases as well as words describing the “highs and lows” of life. 

Over the next remaining 40 days or so, I will post meditations one mystery at a time, beginning with the Joyful mysteries, then the Luminous, followed by the Sorrowful, ending with the Glorious as we end Lent and begin the Easter season.  I will highlight in red words or phrases that I feel keep with my theme of “The Highs and Lows and Ups and Downs of the Holy Rosary”.  Please enjoy!

The Annunciation

Brief meditation

In the Annunciation, the birth of the Son of God in the flesh was made to hinge on the consent of a woman, as the fall of man in the garden of Paradise hinged on the consent of a man.

God in His power might have assumed a human nature by force, but He willed not to invade His great gift of freedom without His creature’s free response.  Through the angel who saluted Mary in words that have become the first part of the Hail Mary, “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee,” Mary was asked if she would give God a son!

Mary learning that she would conceive without human love, but with the overshadowing of divine Love, consented, and a new humanity began, with Mary as the new Eve, and Christ the new Adam.

The Annunciation is the Mystery of the joy of freedom.  Our free will is the only thing in the world that is our own.  God can take away anything else, our health, wealth, power, but God will never force us to love Him or to obey Him.  The charm of Yes lies in the possibility that one might have said No.

Scriptural meditation

1.  The Angel Gabriel was sent from God....to a virgin betrothed to a man, named Joseph, of the house of David.  The virgin's name was Mary.  (Luke 1: 26-27)  - Hail Mary...

2.  The angel said to her:  "Rejoice O highly favored daughter! The Lord is with you.  Blessed are you among women."  (Luke 1: 28)  - Hail Mary...

3.  She was deeply troubled by his words, and wondered what his greeting meant.  (Luke 1: 29)  - Hail Mary...

4.  The angel said to her: "Do not fear, Mary.  You have found favor with God."  (Lk. 1: 30)  - Hail Mary...

5.  "You shall conceive and bear a son and give him the name of Jesus."  (Luke 1: 31)  - Hail Mary...

6.  "Great will be his dignity and he will be called Son of the Most High.  And His reign will be without end."  (Luke 1: 32-33)  - Hail Mary...

7.  Mary said to the angel,  "How can this be since I do not know man?"  (Luke 1: 34)  - Hail Mary...

8.  The angel answered Her:  "The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will overshadow you."   (Luke 1: 35)  - Hail Mary...

9.  "The holy offspring to be born will be called Son of God."  (Luke 1: 35)  - Hail Mary...

10.  Mary said:  "I am the servant of the Lord.  Let it be done to me as you say."  With that the angel left her. (Luke 1: 38)  - Hail Mary...

No comments: