When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Stop judging others!

 

I think I was in the eighth grade and preparing for the sacrament of Confirmation when I first started examining my conscience each night before going to bed.  Sometimes I even do the examination while I’m in bed and trying to fall asleep, because I’m a little afraid of what I’ll discover about myself.  In those early days it was easier, because I tended to compare myself to my brothers or my friends.  I could excuse myself because I was (in my own self-centered mind) doing better at keeping God’s commandments through ritualistic worship than a lot of my friends—especially during Lent.  I always gave up something, usually candy or sodas, and back then we were obligated to abstain from meat every Friday, not just during Lent.  If one of my brothers chose the same thing, I had to ‘one up’ them.  If one of my brothers broke the Friday abstinence, even by mistake, I’d be all over them.  Truth be told, I broke the abstinence just as often if not more than any of them, but somehow it was OK, because they did it, too.  Granted, breaking the abstinence rule is/was a sin, but some would argue that it is a venial sin at most.  I have confessed to many more—even grave—sins.  Each of us, if we’re honest with ourselves, has sinned.  And hopefully confessed.

The Prophet Daniel expresses what each of us has confessed at some point in our lives: “We have sinned, been wicked and done evil; we have rebelled and departed from your commandments and your laws.” (Daniel 9:4-10)  But recognizing and confessing our sins and faults may be the easier Lenten task.

Looking back over my life, my cringe-worthy regrets are not so much what I did but what I didn’t do.  When I knew I could have been a better friend.  What I didn’t do that I knew even then I should have done.  How many times did I let fear or embarrassment get in the way of doing what was right?

I find Jesus’ injunction in Luke’s gospel (Luke 6:36-38) to be so pertinent and timely.  Stop with the judging, will you?!  We all know and count on the mercy of God to forgive us.  But then we turn around and just keep on judging others for who they are, how they vote, who they love, what their skin color is, or how they worship.  My goodness, we’re back to my childhood days of “My Lenten fast is harder than yours, so I’m better than you.”

So for the last 20 years or so, I’ve tried (emphasis on TRIED) to do some work of mercy or kindness in addition to giving something up during Lent.  This year, I decided to attempt to promote a better understanding of the rosary by providing within my blog posts brief and scriptural meditations on each of the mysteries of the prayer with an emphasis on the “highs and lows and ups and downs” in the mysteries of the Holy Rosary.  In whatever ways you choose to practice a Lenten discipline, maybe complement it with choosing a Lenten kindness that takes some of today’s pervasive judging of others off the table.

 

Tonight, I conclude the meditations on the Joyful Mysteries.

V.  The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple

Brief meditation

"Did you not know that I must be about my father's business?" (Luke 2:49).  To begin to understand the joy that Mary and Joseph felt on finding Jesus in the Temple, we must first imagine their distress when they realized He wasn’t with them.  For 12 years, they had been always at His side, their lives dedicated to Him in obedience to the Will of God.  Yet now—what had they done?  Where was the Child, this most precious Gift of God?  How could they ever endure it if something had happened to Him?

But here He is, "sitting in the midst of the doctors, hearing them, and asking them questions" (Luke 2:46). "And his mother said to him: Son, why hast thou done so to us? behold thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing" (Luke 2:48).  And then those wondrous words emerge from His lips, "Did you not know that I must be about my father's business?"

He’s always been obedient to Mary and Joseph, and through them to God the Father, but now His obedience to God is even more direct.  He will, of course, continue to obey His mother and His foster father, but today marks a turning point, a foreshadowing of His public ministry and even of His death on the Cross.

We’re not called as Christ was, but we are called to follow Him, to take up our own crosses in imitation of Him and in obedience to God the Father.  Like Christ, we must be about the Father's business in our own lives—at every moment of every day.

Scriptural meditations

1.  When Jesus was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. (Luke 2:42)-Hail Mary…

2.  And when they were returning, the boy Jesus remained in Jerusalem, and His parents did not know it. (Luke 2:43)-Hail Mary…

3.  They returned to Jerusalem in search of Him. And after three days, they found Him in the temple. (Luke 2:45-46)-Hail Mary…

4.  He was sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. (Luke 2:46)-Hail Mary…

5.  And all who were listening to Him were amazed at His understanding and His answers. (Luke 2:47)-Hail Mary…

6.  "Son, why have You done this to us?  Behold, in sorrow Your father and I have been seeking You." (Luke 2:48)-Hail Mary…

7.  "How is it that you sought Me?  Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?"  (Luke 2:49)-Hail Mary…

8.  And they did not understand the word that He spoke to them. (Luke 2:51)-Hail Mary…

9.  And He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them. (Luke 2:51)-Hail Mary…

10.  And Jesus advanced in wisdom and age and grace before God and man. (Luke 2:52)-Hail Mary…

No comments: