When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, March 9, 2024

Have I truly turned myself over to God?

If I desire to be a person of true humility before God, I can close my eyes and put myself into memories of such grace.  But in trying to describe these moments in words, I fall short, and wonder if trying to speak the humility turns the expression into self-exaltation!  “Look at me – I’ve humbled myself a few times along the way – aren’t I special?”  In Jesus’ parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector, He explains: “for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9-14)

I’m not sure I have the capacity to be a person of humility all the time, or even most of the time.  It’s easy to blame the hubris of being among a more fortunate economic class, or the consumerism or hedonism or any other of the -isms that are too prevalent in our world.  But the truth runs much deeper than those excuses.  So I pray and wonder...  Does trying to be a person of humility count?  Does living out what my grandmother and mother taught me so well count: that I am special in God’s eyes, but no more special than any of my loud, crazy siblings and cousins and certainly no more so than any other child of God?  Am I humble when I serve, or accept the help of others, or break bread with a family of very modest means – so much so that guilt creeps even as I’m humbled by their generosity?  Have I truly turned myself over to God?

Perhaps you, too, have seen the face of God in a chance encounter that called you (us) to nearly drop to your knees in gratitude.  Perhaps you, too, have wondered at the many, many blessings you enjoy, knowing that your (our) sins, if matched line-by-line, would cause the balance sheet to tip toward the measure of ‘unworthy.’  Perhaps you, too, have felt shame for the moments that you (we) exalted, through words or deeds, self above other.  If yes, then we are a pretty huge amalgamation of like-hearted souls.

So during the rest of this Lenten season, I want to endeavor to behave less often like the Pharisee who was self-aggrandizing, and more often like the tax collector, justified and exalted because of his acts of humility at the Temple.  Thanks be to God!

************************

The Highs and Lows and Ups and Downs of the Most Holy Rosary:

The Sorrowful mysteries

IV.  The Carrying of the Cross

Brief meditation:

In this mystery, we contemplate Our Lord Jesus Christ falling down for the third time under the weight of his own cross but he rises up and continues forward.  We ask the Blessed Virgin Mary to inspire us with this scene so that every time we find ourselves overwhelmed by our own crosses that we may never give up, that we may always rise up, embrace our cross and continue forward with more determination than before.

Scriptural meditations:

1.  As they led [Jesus] away they took hold of a certain Simon, a Cyrenian, who was coming in from the country; and after laying the cross on him, they made him carry it behind Jesus. (Luke 23:26)- Hail Mary…

2.  A large crowd of people followed Jesus, including many women who mourned and lamented him. (Luke 23:27)- Hail Mary ...

3.  Jesus turned to them and said, "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep instead for yourselves and for your children. (Luke 23:28)- Hail Mary ...

4.  "The days are coming when people will say, 'Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed.'" (Luke 23: 29)- Hail Mary ...

5.  "At that time people will say to the mountains, Fall upon us!' and to the hills, Cover us!'" (Luke 23:30)- Hail Mary ...

6.  "For if these things are done when the wood is green what will happen when it is dry?" (Luke 23:31)- Hail Mary ...

7.  [Jesus said,] "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me." (Mark 8:34)- Hail Mary ...

8.  This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; Setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke. (Isaiah 58:6)- Hail Mary ...

9.  Sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless. Clothing the naked when you see them,

and not turning your back on your own. (Isaiah 58:7)- Hail Mary ...

10.  Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your wound shall quickly be healed. Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer, you shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am! (Isaiah 58:8-9)- Hail Mary ... 

No comments: