When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, March 1, 2024

I can identify!

 

Jesus told many stories (parables) to explain the loving mercy of God, one of them being the Parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15).  The Parable of the Prodigal Son is one of the most compelling parables in the Gospels, because we can relate to the characters in this family story:

–The prodigal son who left his family, taking his inheritance, and squandering it on “wine, women and song”,

–The merciful father who hoped and prayed and watched on the road for his son to return.

–The dutiful son who stayed and worked the land with his father, and who resented the lavish celebration that his father made when his brother returned.

How could we see ourselves in these people?

Of course, perhaps we all can identify with the younger brother who is forgiven his many sins.  But I wonder what gave him the nerve or perhaps courage to ask his father for half the inheritance destined for him before his father died?  Was there something about his father that indicated a request like that wouldn’t be met with punishment or derision?  We are all heirs of God (Romans 8:16-17).  Do I dare to ask God for my inheritance?  And what IS my inheritance, anyway?  Grace.  Love.  Peace.  His Son, the Christ.  The sacraments making real for me all those gifts.  The list is long.

Another aspect of the parable struck me as I read it again today…the image of the father seeing from afar his wayward son returning.  I can picture the father eagerly sighting him who he had waited for perhaps for years.  He runs to embrace his son…..he is all love, all forgiveness, all joy that his son has returned.  I hope that everyone may have experienced something like this from a parent.  Surely we can all hope to experience this from our loving Lord.

Have you ever identified with the older son?  The one who always did his father’s will and never asked for a thing?  Who resented the love heaped on his younger brother?  His concern for himself and what he didn’t receive blinded him to what he had been receiving all along.  The father reassures him that “everything I have is yours.”  Everything, not just half!  Maybe if he had only asked…….

****************

The Highs and Lows and Ups and Downs of the Most Holy Rosary (continued):

Speaking of our “inheritance” of Grace, Love, Peace, Jesus Christ—all made real through the Sacraments, there is one sacrament in particular which is the “Source and Summit” of our Catholic faith, and it’s beginning is the subject of the last Luminous mystery.

V.  The Institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper

Brief meditation:

The final Luminous Mystery takes us to Jesus’ last supper, where He shares His very Self with His disciples in the form of bread and wine.  This holy meal unites us in love with God and with one another so that we become the one body of Christ.  Jesus’ essential gesture at the Eucharist is His handing over His body and blood to the community gathered around Him.  After Jesus does this, He says, “Do this in memory of me.”  He’s not saying simply that we should repeat this liturgical ritual. He also wants us to repeat what He has done for the community during His life here on earth.  He has, literally, handed Himself over to them.  We’re being asked in our own day to hand over our bodies as well—in loving service to the Christian community.

Scriptural meditation:

1.  Jesus said, “I am the bread of life”. (John 6:35)-Hail Mary…

2.  “He who comes to me shall not hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst.”  (John 6:35)-Hail Mary…

3.  “He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has life everlasting and I shall raise him up on the last day.” (John 6:54)-Hail Mary…

4.  “For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed” (John 6:56)-Hail Mary…

5.  And while they were at supper, Jesus took bread and blessed and broke it, and gave it to his disciples and said (Matthew 26:26)-Hail Mary…

6.  “This is my body which is being given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” (Luke 22:19)-Hail Mary…

7.  And taking a cup, he gave thanks and gave it to them, saying (Matthew 26:27)-Hail Mary…

8.  “This is my blood of the new covenant which shall be shed for many.”  (Mark 14:24)-Hail Mary…

9.  “Do this as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” (1 Corinthians 11:25)-Hail Mary…

10.  For as often as you shall eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord, until he comes. (1 Corinthians 11:26)-Hail Mary…

No comments: