When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Thanksgiving Day Grace

Over the last several years, it has fallen to me to lead the Grace before meals. There is always the good old standby "Bless us O Lord, and these Thy gifts....", but I like to say special prayers on special occasions. Not that Our Lord really prefers this type of extemporaneous prayer over the tried and true, but hey! He's worth it!
I sometimes spend days thinking of just the right words. I even surf the internet looking for ideas, but most of the time, I end up just with a simple prayer of thanks, petition, and praise.

Anyway, here is what I came up with for this Thanksgiving Day. I think it pretty much covers everything. Of course, if I did miss anything, I know He knows what is in our hearts and minds. I hope He's pleased with what I came up with. Please feel free to use it or adapt it to your own special needs if you want to.

Heavenly Father,

Thank you for this special day, a day to remember Your goodness to us.


Thank you for giving us roofs over our heads, and more than enough food to eat.


Thank you for the family You have given to us, who have gathered together to eat this Thanksgiving Day meal.


Thank you for the family and friends who are not able to be with us today.


We remember those who are not so fortunate as us. Please bless them and keep them warm and safe as we begin this season of Advent, when we prepare for the birth of Your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen

No comments: