When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, November 17, 2008

Faith is the greater part of belief

I had to drive to Fresno today for a meeting tomorrow. It gave me time to pray, reflect, and pray some more. I had forgotten how much more "quiet time" I get when I have to drive. I can turn the cell phone off (or, as I like to say "let the battery die") and just think. Obviously, I keep my attention on the road as well, but I must admit there have been times when I have no idea how I got where I was. I guess if you're in conversation with God, he protects you until you're finished.

Anyway, I was thinking today about the words "belief" and "faith" and what the difference might be. A lot of people seem to confuse the two when they are speaking of their relationship with Jesus Christ. I think I have it nailed, though. I am quite sure that most people "believe" that Jesus Christ is their "personal Lord and Savior." And that's another thing! What is this "personal" business? Christ died 'once for all'. And He rose 'once for all.' That means each and every one of us. I digress.

The difference between belief and faith, in my opinion, is that faith is the confidence we have in our beliefs and the feeling of assurance that Christ IS King! When you believe, you hope your prayers will be heard. With faith, you know that your prayers will be heard and answered, according to God's will. Does that make sense? It does to me, but I'm really tired right now and it doesn't read the way I'm trying to write it.

No comments: