When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Graces and blessings

Even though I know that God's grace and blessings are with me every day, I can't help but wonder if He hasn't chosen February as my "special" month. My first date with Marilyn was February 14, 1972. Our daughter Alicia was born on February 23, 1979. Our daughter Sarah was born on February 18, 1982. My mother's birthday is February 21. God has blessed her with a very long life, 90 years (and still going strong), which I feel is also a blessing for me. Without Mom, and her prayers, I wouldn't have the grace of faith that sustains me in this crazy world.

Today I found out about another "birth" day that is going to happen in February. Liliana's getting baptized on February 22. The only thing that will top that event is if Lorenzo gets off the stick and enters RCIA in time to be baptized and "marked with the sign of faith" NEXT February during the Easter season. Without baptism there is no faith. Without faith, there is no hope. Without hope, there is no love. What greater gift (after life itself) could Jesus have given us?

I don't presume to know the will of God. I do know, however, that He has answered every petition I've presented. Not always the answer I wanted, but answered nonetheless. The faith, hope, and love I recieved in my own baptism empowers me to know that whatever answer I recieve is the right one for me according to His plan.

Dear God, You are the Creator of the Universe and all creation owes You thanks and praise. You have blessed me my entire life and although I have not always remembered to thank You, You know what is in my heart and You accept me just the same. I continue to place my trust in Your wisdom as Your will is carried out through me. I promise to remain the faithful servant of Your Son, Jesus Christ, who reigns with You and the Holy Spirit forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: