When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pray, Pray, Pray

I know I've already used this image of Our Lady of the Rosary, but it is extremely important after today's brouhaha at Notre Dame University.


The President, in his speech at Notre Dame today said those on each side of the debate "can still agree that this is a heart-wrenching decision for any woman to make, with both moral and spiritual dimensions.”



What a bunch of CRAP! In my mind, “moral” and “spiritual” mean the same thing! Our spirits are our souls. Our souls belong to God. God’s natural law is what determines what is moral or not. Where’s the confusion in the mind of this “Constitutional Scholar” (as he has been described in every article about today’s speech).


I think the confusion comes from being a politician first, and a Christian second, if at all.


The President also told the following story about himself in today’s speech:
“You see, I was not raised in a particularly religious household, but my mother instilled in me a sense of service and empathy that eventually led me to become a community organizer after I graduated college. And a group of Catholic churches in Chicago helped fund an organization known as the Developing Communities Project, and we worked to lift up South Side neighborhoods that had been devastated when the local steel plant closed.



And it was quite an eclectic crew _ Catholic and Protestant churches, Jewish and African American organizers, working-class black, white, and Hispanic residents _ all of us with different experiences, all of us with different beliefs. But all of us learned to work side by side because all of us saw in these neighborhoods other human beings who needed our help _ to find jobs and improve schools. We were bound together in the service of others.



And something else happened during the time I spent in these neighborhoods _ perhaps because the church folks I worked with were so welcoming and understanding; perhaps because they invited me to their services and sang with me from their hymnals; perhaps because I was really broke and they fed me. Perhaps because I witnessed all of the good works their faith inspired them to perform, I found myself drawn not just to the work with the church; I was drawn to be in the church. It was through this service that I was brought to Christ.”



You have to admit, the man can sure turn a phrase. “It was through this service that I was brought to Christ.” Plenty of people have been brought to Christ—this in and of itself is not enough. If you truly believe in Christ you must agree to “abide in Him, as He abides in His Father.”



The very Christ that President Obama says he was brought to also knew how to turn a phrase. As evidence and refutation of all of the moral relativism that the President spewed today, I offer today’s Gospel:



Jn 15:9-17Jesus said to his disciples: "As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in his love.
"I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy might be complete. This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than this,to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing.I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. This I command you: love one another."



I submit it is not love to kill our children before they have the chance to defend themselves.



It seems that our strongest ally will be the Blessed Virgin. What if she had said “no” to the Life that was conceived within her womb? Say the prayer that she requested of us at all of her appearances: The rosary.


I heard a quote today that should bring home the power of Our Lady as an ally—“The salvation of mankind began with the words, 'Hail, Mary!'”

No comments: