When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, May 16, 2009

The sweetest water is that which we thirst for


Acts 16:1-10Paul reached also Derbe and Lystra where there was a disciple named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer, but his father was a Greek. The brothers in Lystra and Iconium spoke highly of him, and Paul wanted him to come along with him. On account of the Jews of that region, Paul had him circumcised, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. As they traveled from city to city, they handed on to the people for observance the decisions reached by the Apostles and presbyters in Jerusalem. Day after day the churches grew stronger in faith and increased in number.



They traveled through the Phrygian and Galatian territory because they had been prevented by the Holy Spirit from preaching the message in the province of Asia. When they came to Mysia, they tried to go on into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them, so they crossed through Mysia and came down to Troas. During the night Paul had a vision. A Macedonian stood before him and implored him with these words, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." When he had seen the vision, we sought passage to Macedonia at once, concluding that God had called us to proclaim the Good News to them.



==================================================




http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/CN092MAPS1.htm
I used Google to search for “maps of St. Paul’s journeys” and one of the choices was the link above. Steve Ray, a really good convert apologist and expert on Holy Land tours, posted the link on his website. I thought you might want to take a look at it while reading the account of Paul’s second missionary journey with Timothy. I will also imbed the actual map here, along with the commentary that goes with the map.








Taken from Acts 15:40-18:23a - ..... Paul chose Silas and set out on his journey (from Syrian Antioch [1]) ..... He travelled through Syria [2] and Cilicia [3] and strengthened the churches.



He also went to Derbe [4] and Lystra [5]. At Lystra there was a disciple by the name of Timothy..... (who) was held in high regard by the brothers at Lystra and Iconium, and Paul wanted to take him on as his companion. ..... As they went on their way through the cities they passed on to them for their observance the decisions which had been reached by the apostles and elders in (the Council at) Jerusalem. ...



They made their way through Phyrgia [6] and Galatia [7], but the Holy Spirit prevented them from speaking God's message in Asia. When they came to Mysia [8] they tried to enter Bithynia, but again the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them. So they passed by Mysia and came down to Troas [9], where one night Paul had a vision of a Macedonian man standing and appealing to him in the words: "Come over to Macedonia and help us!"



.... So we set sail from Troas and ran a straight course to (the island of) Samothrace [10], and on the following day to Neapolis [11]. From there we went to Philippi [12], a Roman garrison-town and the chief city in that part of Macedonia. We spent some days in Philippi ....


=======================================================


How frustrating it must have been for Paul and Timothy to want to spread the Gospel in Asia and to have the “Spirit of Jesus” thwart them at every turn! Then Paul gets a dream that he interprets to mean that he is to go to Macedonia to preach. He and Timothy preach there and the church grows even stronger! Just goes to show you that even though Paul was a great evangelist, Jesus is a better one. Had Paul gone where he wanted, the numbers of followers surely would have been smaller. I am convinced the need for Paul's preaching was greater where Christ sent him through his dream.



I’ve been there, done that, as have most of us, although on a much smaller scale. I make grand plans every evening for the next day. I try to include daily Mass or Adoration in my plans, because my soul absolutely thirsts for the Word of God and the salvation it promises.



Sometimes, my plans have been changed before I even get out of the house! (I make the mistake of checking my business email before heading out for the day.) Most of the time, the last-minute changes aren’t a matter of life or death, and they are my fault because I don’t know how to say “no” to people who ask favors of me. But if the change of plans requires me to miss my “fix” of Mass or Adoration, I’m sorry to say I become a not so likeable person that affects my interaction with others.



I would never compare myself to Paul—After all, his first change of plans came when He was thrown from his saddle by Christ Himself and heard his voice on a virtual level. (The first-ever recorded “Come to Jesus meeting”! ha ha) But just maybe these changes in plans are thrown at me now and then to remind me that I am a sinner in need of all the graces He wants to give me. Because, when all is said and done, I still manage to get to Mass or Adoration or at least a chance to read the Word and reflect on it, and it seems to me that when I am thirstiest, the “water” of His Word is the sweetest.

No comments: