When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Altar Boys (and girls)


I, as well as every one of my brothers was an altar boy as a kid. As I remember it, they didn't have half the trouble learning the Latin as I did. At least they seemed to not have the trouble I did. I think my opportunity was in memorizing the Pater Noster, which was the longest prayer we had to learn. Father Stroup was the pastor, but he had an associate pastor who was in charge of training the servers. I forget his name now, but I do remember that he was very patient with me. He knew I had trouble with it, so he would allow me to take my "handbook" to the altar with me and read the prayers instead. But Father Stroup wanted me to memorize it and would actually say it with (for?) me when I served with him. The associate would also let me come in 15 minutes early so we could practice. What none of the priests allowed however, was an altar boy who was not properly disposed to serve. No gum, no talking, no taking "shortcuts"--you had to go all the way down to one knee and genuflect in front of the tabernacle, no matter how many times you crossed in front of it.

When I attend Mass on Sundays these days, it is rare to see an altar BOY. Most of the time it is a girl or two. And don't call them altar girls...the term, as they will tell you, is Altar SERVER. This, in and of itself, is not the issue I want to discuss today. My feeling is that if there are no boys offering to serve our Lord, then by all means girls can do as well, if not better.

My biggest pet peeve about altar servers of either sex today is the reverence (or lack thereof) displayed by them during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. I rarely see them participating verbally as all members of the Body of Christ are called to do at Mass.

Call me persnickety, but when the Celebrant says "The Lord be with you" I'd like to see the altar servers respond like the rest of the congregation does with "And also with you". To be fair, I do sometimes see their mouths moving. Unfortunately, it's because the flavor of the gum they are chewing must be especially delicious. At one Mass I attended, the server actually recieved our Lord while the gum was still in her mouth. God forgive me, but I was so concerned I was watching to see if she would at least discard it under her seat or in the vestibule before receiving. That's how I know she didn't discard it. I was dumbfounded. We should not judge others, but do you think she believed in the Real Presence?

This is not to say that all altar servers are this irreverent. In Bakersfield, during Lent this year there was a mother who brought her two sons with her to Mass every morning (I guess before school). They were extremely well behaved and the family sat towards the back of the church. There was a younger sibling who was young enough to cause the occasional outburst, and so they sat in back. Anyway, as is usual during most daily Masses, an adult was acting as the altar server (in the services I attend, I seldom see children--another sad commentary,but true)by holding the Lectionary for the priest when saying the prayers and acting as lector for the readings. But when it came time to confect the Eucharist, these two boys moved silently and reverently toward the altar. They picked up the water and wine cruets and chalice and brought them to the priest and bowed reverently. He took them and prepared them. He handed the water back to them and they bowed again, then went to get the basin for the hand washing. Again, it was a bow before and after the washing of the hands. Then they grabbed the platens and helped the priest and minister to distribute communion in the manner I learned oh those many years ago--one hand holding the platen under the chin (or hand) of the communicant and the other over their heart. Then, after communion they knelt down next to the altar while the priest went through the purification of the vessels. They did not rise again until the tabernacle was locked, then they quietly and reverently genuflected towards the tabernacle and returned to their seats with their mother. I was so impressed with the piety of these kids, I considered writing a letter to the pastor congratulating him for having two of the most efficient and faith-filled servers I've seen in a long time. In fact, I did write the letter, but for some reason I never sent it. In the letter I referred to the boys as "stealth servants for God." It seemed like they were there one minute and gone the next. Their reverence was such that it was like their presence was at the altar the whole Mass!

My hope is that Father Brandon and other young priests who are apparently reaching out to our young men and women will be able to encourage more of them to serve reverently and possibly open the door to religious vocations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom here

Anonymous said...

haha i asked what "alter grls" were supposed to be called on sunday and i hadent even read this yet..wierd!

-alicia