When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm back! (or) Ow! My back!

I was pretty good there for a while with daily blogs, but I've been really busy and the stupid hotel's internet went down, so I've been on dial-up. It's just not conducive to writing--in fact, it aggravates the heck out of me! They got the internet working today, so I'll give it a go.
===============================================================

The last couple of weeks I've been noticing how the priests in the Central Valley seem to be getting younger (or is it that I'm getting older?) They just ordained 3 more in the Fresno Diocese and I hear there are going to be 2 ordinations in the Stockton Diocese shortly. Praise God--they're desperately needed!

The priest that celebrated Mass this morning was from India. During his homily, he said he met Mother Teresa and spoke one-on-one with her when he was a young seminarian. Can you imagine meeting a saint? As you might imagine, her advice to him was to spend one hour every single day before the Blessed Sacrament in silence--she said this is the best way to listen to what Christ is calling you to do. It is one of the daily "duties" she required of all of the Sisters in her Order. I agree with her viewpoint. I've learned that just sitting (or kneeling) without saying anything or even praying is when I am most at peace. Afterwards, I feel like I can tackle anything--nothing fazes me!

Of course, I was close to a future saint once-Pope John Paul II! I saw him in San Francisco when he was there in 1989 (or was it earlier?) After Mass, as he was walking off from the altar after the dismissal, I was in a crowd of people (who I later learned were a group of AIDS patients) and JPII was touching them and blessing them. I was only about 8 feet away! I have a picture that I took that shows just how close I was somewhere . I'll try to post it later in the week if I can find it. That is an experience I will never forget. I remember saying to myself, "OK, the Pope has visited MY backyard. Someday I will visit him in HIS!" I think that's why I am so anxious to get to Rome before I'm too old to really enjoy it.

If I went to Rome today, I probably couldn't get around. I had trouble just finishing a walk around one of my centers today. My back is killing me! Yes, it probably does have a lot to do with my weight. I've been doing a lot of golfing as of late, but I can't even finish a round before either my back or my knees give out. Two years ago I went on a diet of only 2,000 calories and walked every night and I felt really good. In fact I was walking 4 miles a day and the last 100 yards I ran!

I don't know why I stopped, but I made the commitment to myself today to pick it up again--after Father's Day, of course--I don't want to spoil anything the kids may have planned for me (lol). I figure if I lose just one pound a week, I'll have lost 52 pounds by this time next year, which will put me at the weight my doctor says is "ideal". If I make it, I'll reward myself with a trip to Rome if finances and vacation schedules permit. I will back up this plan with daily prayers for the endurance to keep it up(I know it's wrong to pray for "things", but it's to make a pilgrimage to increase my faith, for crying out loud!).

Mt 6:7-15
Jesus said to his disciples:"In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
"This is how you are to pray:
'Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread;and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'


"If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions."

Enough said on this subject.

No comments: