When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, August 31, 2009

Is there a psychiatrist in the house???

As soon as I woke up this morning, I was struck by a weird image in my mind about the wedding feast at Cana. I don’t know why it hit me, but I haven’t been able to think about much else all day. I figure if I write about it as my blog today, I won’t be so obsessed about it.

In case you’ve forgotten the story, here it is.

From the Gospel of St. John:

And on the third day a marriage took place at Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Now Jesus too was invited to the marriage, and also his disciples. And the wine having run short, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” And Jesus said to her, “What wouldst thou have me do, woman? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the attendants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

Now six stone water-jars were placed there, after the Jewish manner of purification each holding two or three measures. Jesus said to them, “Fill the jars with water.” And they filled them to the brim. And Jesus said to them, “Draw out now, and take to the chief steward.” And they took it to him.

Now when the chief steward had tasted the water after it had become wine, not knowing whence it was (though the attendants who had drawn the water knew), the chief steward called the bridegroom, and said to him “Every man at first sets forth the good wine, and when they have drunk freely, then that which is poorer. But thou hast kept the good wine until now.” (John 2:1-10)

The image that I dreamt about last night is something straight out of Salvador Dali’s imagery. The stone water-jars were actually guests at the wedding. I was one of the stone jars holding only two to three “measures” of water. I was starting to feel left out of all the festivities because everyone was drinking wine, not water. Then one of the stewards came to get me and FILLED me to the brim with water. Even though I felt like I had something to offer now, it wasn't enough. “Nobody drinks water at a wedding,” I said to myself. Then Jesus turned the water that I held into wine and I understood that the wine that I now held was more than just a beverage given to the people attending the wedding, who were amazed at the quality of the wine. The wine was a sign that the King of Kings was ready to start His ministry, and I had been chosen to play a small part in the miracle!

So on meditating about this dream all day, it reminded me of the feeling I get sometimes that even though I KNOW Jesus and I want to share Him with others, I tend to give the “watered-down” version of the Proclamation of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ for fear of offending someone’s sensibilities. I need to start pouring out the “best wine”, to make sure the “guests” at the “wedding” are getting the best of what I have to offer, and become a small part in the Miracle that is Christ.

I told you it was a weird dream. I guess I’ll have to stop eating hot wings so close to bedtime from now on!

No comments: