When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, September 25, 2009

Those who have ears ought to hear!

Zechariah 2:5-9, 14-15a
"But they did not understand this saying ..."

In the gospel, Jesus told his Apostles something very important, something they needed to understand and prepare for, something that would change their lives fundamentally, transforming them completely. But they didn't understand what was said. Not to understand is fine, but they were also too afraid to ask what it meant. They didn't understand, but they were frightened of its implications.

It reminds me of those situations where we cover our ears and hum or whistle, to drown out any possibility of our hearing something we don’t want to hear.

The Apostles finally came to understand that the Death of Jesus was for the whole world and would transform it forever. But I wonder if they would have come to realize this sooner if they had not been afraid to ask.

Do you sometimes read something in the Word that sounds hard, or daunting, or frightening? I do. Do you gloss over it, subduing it with prayer and other reading, rushing to another passage? Yep, me again!

Instead, rather than being afraid, why not turn to the Author of Life and ask Him to explain it? You might be surprised at what you hear.

I find that when I come across something while reading my Bible that disturbs me, it's usually the message I most need to hear. I have to learn to stop and listen and ask for an explanation. Who knows? In time the explanation may come and give me cause to rejoice in what God has in store for me!
Because, after all, every word of the Bible tells us of a deep and abiding love and faithfulness on the part of God. And where love exists, fear cannot abide.

No comments: