When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The "cure" for dismay

In the Responsorial Psalm, the words "">I shall not be disturbed" jumped out at me!

Being disturbed by unforeseen circumstances is not pleasant. Though much of what disturbs us is often beyond our control and seems inevitable and inescapable; there's a remedy.

It doesn't mean that disturbance will go away, but that it will find its proper place and show itself for what it is, a situation in need of God's grace.

So when you're feeling disturbed ask God, to help you. Ask Him to give you His peace -- not just once mind you, but often -- over and over again; habitually.

Instead of staying disturbed, or getting angry at a situation that you can't do anything about, pray the little prayers, tell God how much you are in need of Him -- little prayers, short, succinct, to the point, the cries from your heart."Help me Lord. Help me Lord. Help me Lord."

Then let Him do it! Let Him help you!

The disturbance will find its proper place and the love and peace of Christ, its proper place -- that is, your open, trusting, expectant humble heart.

Without getting into too much detail, I can tell you first-hand that this works. My day kept going from bad to worse until I asked Jesus to help me deal with all the setbacks that kept piling up today. You know what? Even though I didn’t get back to my hotel room until 10pm, I feel a real sense of accomplishment at what I and the guys I work with got done today!

But I am really physically and mentally tired, so I’m going to cut my blog entry short tonight.

Oh! Thank You, Lord for humbling me today and for using my “adventure” to deepen my trust in You and my love for You.

No comments: