When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, October 12, 2009

Perception is reality?

I’m writing tonight from Bishop, California. Man, is it cold! I came up with my boss today to load up a bunch of trailers that we will deliver to our location in Ridgecrest, then come back and load up again. On Wednesday, we’ll take the new load back to Bakersfield, and then we’ll go back to Fresno. I’d like to be home by Thursday, but it might not be until Friday or Saturday. Oh well, it could be worse—I could have had to make the trip by myself! It’s much more fun with Todd.
==================================================================
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
The Sorrowful Mysteries
Romans 1:16-25
Psalm 19:2-3, 4-5
Luke 11:37-41

They say perception is reality ...and often it can be -- when we make efforts to create a certain appearance to the outside world. We can do such a good job that we become what we were pretending to be! This works in the material world but with our spiritual side it's a bit more difficult! While on the outside we can 'appear' to be leading an exemplary life -- our inner desires, motivations, resentments could be creating a different, hidden version of ourselves which is more the 'reality' of our true nature.

Jesus reminds us to look inside first and foremost and not be so concerned with the externalities. When we examine our hearts and minds and identify blockages to love and healing, only then are we free to invite Jesus to come and fill the darkness with His light. Our Faith calls us to leave the darkness behind and to live and be reflectors of eternal light.

I recall the times I didn't stop to help the hungry, the sick, the homeless and the forgotten. Perhaps, like the Pharisee, I was so filled with selfishness that I couldn't give what I didn't have. But since Jesus especially loves the poor, and He loves me too, I know I'll be given another chance.

No comments: