When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, October 4, 2009

What's in a baby's smile?

At Mass this morning, Father Rainwater was asked to read a letter from Bishop Blaire for Respect Life Sunday.

In the Bishop’s letter, he used a phrase that was quite thought provoking. He said, “We see the face of God in a child’s smile.”
When I was at the game yesterday, I spent more time focused on Lily than on the game. I’m not complaining. In fact, every time I see her smile it melts my heart so completely nothing else matters. I was reminded of this during the homily this morning—then THAT started me thinking about how blessed I am to know His love for me, through my children and their children.

I think that I see the face of God in the smiles of children because I strive to “walk in his ways” (Psalm 128) (King David was a pretty profound “cookie” for his day, don’t you think?)
Blessed are you who fear the LORD,
who walk in his ways!
For you shall eat the fruit of your handiwork;
blessed shall you be, and favored.

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine
in the recesses of your home;
your children like olive plants around your table.

Behold, thus is the man blessed
who fears the LORD.

The LORD bless you from Zion:
may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life.

May you see your children's children.
Peace be upon Israel!

May the Lord bless us all the days of our lives.


No comments: