When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, November 30, 2009

How did ladybugs get their name?

When I got home from work this evening, Alicia asked me if I knew the "Legend of the Lady Bug". I had to admit I didn't. I was surprised to hear of the connection between ladybugs and Our Blessed Mother!


Legends vary about how the Ladybug came to be named, but the most common (and enduring) is this: In Europe, during the Middle Ages, swarms of insects were destroying the crops. The farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary for help. Soon thereafter the Ladybugs came, devouring the plant-destroying pests and saving the crops! The farmers called these beautiful insects "The Beetles of Our Lady", and - over time - they eventually became popularly known as "Lady Beetles". The red wings were said to represent the Virgin's cloak and the black spots were symbolic of both her joys and her sorrows.

Speaking of "Lilybugs", here's a couple of pictures of OUR Lily "helping" to put up the Christmas tree this year!














No comments: