When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, December 27, 2009

God is So Good!

Something happened today that prompted me to write this post with this title.

I went to the Sacrament of Reconciliation about 1o days ago. Not only did Christ forgive me in confession through His holy priest, He gave me a penance that seemed impossible to perform. Suffice it to say it was not one of the simple "Say three Our Fathers and Ten Hail Marys" that I seem to always get assigned. It was one of those penances that require reflection on the sin that was forgiven and action in direct contradiction to the sin to "correct" the transgression.
Since I was given the penance, I kept looking at different daily situations and trying to justify my actions in those situations as the fulfillment of my penitential obligation, but somehow, I just didn't feel like it was what He wanted me to do and so I felt like I had not done my penance. He provided the opportunity to perform that penance today. But unlike the last 10 days when I tried to talk myself into thinking I had completed my penance, I didn't have to try to "convince" myself--I heard (and still hear) an "inner voice" telling me that THIS was how I was to repent, and that the debt of my assigned penance was satisfied. My mind is clear again, and so God is Good.

No comments: