When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, December 28, 2009

Why a Dad Needs a Daughter

In the "good old days" when my kids were small, it seemed like I could always guess what they were giving me for my birthday or Christmas or Father's Day. I was pretty hard to surprise. Of course I was matching wits with children then.
And no matter what the gift was, even if I did already know what it was, it was special, simply because it was given with love.

To tell the truth, I would have been just as happy to get a simple great big hug and an "I love you, Dad". In fact, I remember those moments more than most of the gifts I have recieved over the years.

I get the same feelings now with Lily when she "puckers up" and moves her face close to mine and gives me a kiss or when she puts her head on my shoulder and holds my hand. But not the same feeling. Well, it's the same feeling, but it's not. I mean I'm a GRANDfather, but not her father. And SHE knows the difference as well--I can see it. It's subtle, but it's there.

Back when I was a young father, I thought my kids would remain kids and need me forever. As they got older and "wiser" and independent, the hugs and kisses stopped. I don't know why--they just did.

You know what? I really miss it! I didn't realize it until we were blessed with Lily. A child loves unconditionally and makes a father just instinctively know that he's needed. When the hugs and kisses stopped, it wasn't Earth-stopping, but it was a cause for me to wonder if I was still needed.

So when my girls got together this Christmas and bought me a book titled Why A Daughter Needs A Dad--100 Reasons (Gregory E. Lang, Cumberland House), it took me by surprise and I actually caught myself with a tear in my eye! It appears they still think they need me, they really need me! (Oh, man! Did I just have a "Sally Field Moment"? ) lol.

The book is not meant to be read like a novel. Rather it is meant to be used as a gentle reminder of the great special relationships dads have with their daughters. The left side of each page has a picture of a dad and daughter. The right page has one, two or three reasons why daughters need dads--for instance,
"A daughter needs a dad....

"So she will know what it is like to be somebody's favorite."

or

"to be the safe spot she can always turn to."

or

"to be the standard against which she will judge all men."

or

"who will influence her life even when he isn't with her."

I am finding that it's not just a "make Dad feel good" book; rather it is more of a handbook of what fathers need to teach their daughters to be able to thrive on their own on that day when the child-like hugs and kisses stop.

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I think I've done pretty well in the "daughter department". Both of them are very successful at what they are doing right now. And you know what? I'm not done teaching them yet! And evidently, they aren't done teaching me, either!

If you would like your own copy, it is available at Barnes and Noble.

1 comment:

Greg said...

So glad you enjoyed my book, and I really appreciate the kind and thoughful review!

Gregory E. Lang