When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Potpourri post

Just before Thankgiving (the day before I got sick) I went to the doctor for a checkup so that I could be "cleared" to join a gym that is paid for by Marilyn's employer.

I weighed in at 245 lbs. My waist, based on the last pair of pants Marilyn bought me, is 40". (I think my "waist" is smaller, but I can't tell, because my belly is in the way! lol)

So I decided starting tomorrow I will be on a diet and exercise program. I'll start by watching my calories and cutting down on the sodas and sweets. I know I have the willpower for that part of it based on my recent abstinence for 40 days for life. Not only that, but about a year and a half ago, I was able to lose 32 lbs. (I was down to 200) in about 8 weeks, so I know I can do it. I would like you, readers, to "keep me honest" by reminding me of my commitment if you see me slacking off. Don't nag me! Just remind me. My biggest problem will be the exercise. I guess I'll try the gym out. I'll update my weight every Sunday. I just weighed myself for the formal beginning of my program, and I'm at 239.5 lbs. I guess I lost about 5.5 lbs from my illness and fast. So I'm already on my "weigh".



======================================================

I received a puzzle book, entitled Brain Games from Alicia and Lorenzo on Christmas. They know how much I like to do word games and crosswords during my lunch hours, so it was a very thoughtful gift.

I was solving some of the puzzles today when I came to this puzzle, which is supposed to “increase your brain power” through creative thinking and logic. It is titled, “Vitamin Vic”:

As Vitamin Vic pushes his grocery cart through the produce section, you observe that he picks up cucumbers but not lettuce. He grabs a zucchini, but not asparagus. He picks up peas but no onions. Now he’s approaching the cabbage and potatoes. Based on his previous selections, which one will Vic choose?

I chose cabbage. It was obvious that cucumbers, zucchini, and peas all grow on vines. Since neither cabbage nor potatoes grow on vines, I figured cabbage at least “looked” like it grows on a vine. The PhD who designed the puzzle however, said in the answer that potatoes grow on a vine. The last time I looked in the fields around the delta where I live, potatoes are a “tuber” or root vegetable. They do not grow on vines. Oh, well. I guess the author’s PhD is not in agriculture. But I’ll give him this. It certainly is “creative thinking”.

=======================================================
I got some pretty good news today. I’m finally going to get the company van back so I don’t have to keep transferring moving vans back and forth to the different cities I work in. It might not be back in time to pick Mom up at the end of the week, but it will be more comfortable for her to go back and forth to church from now on.

=====================================================
Another pleasant Christmas surprise! I got a 42” HDTV for Christmas from Santa (You know they say when you stop believing is when you stop getting presents from him!). Unfortunately (we thought) in order to get HDTV programming and get the full effect of the improved graphics you have to have a special converter from the cable company (at a slightly higher charge, of course). I really don’t mind, since another one of the benefits of the special box is the addition of EWTN television (and a couple of other channels I’m not really interested in, but I’ll take them). But the best thing about the new TV is the picture I get when watching the food network! Ummm!

=======================================================

I had to work on Friday and Saturday so I stayed close to home while Marilyn and the family went up to the cabin until Sunday. I can’t wait until they get home. Oompah misses Lily Bug!

======================================================

No comments: