When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Father knows best

This Sunday’s readings are perfect for thinking about vocations. How many of us have thought as children, "I want to be a fireman - I want to be an astronaut - I want to be a movie actress." Then, as we grew older, our choices became more realistic. "I want to be a veterinarian - I want to be a nurse. . . ." More rarely, a person feels "called" to be or do some special work. It sounds so noble, because it takes both courage and humility to answer a call!

Personally, my career goal was to become a policeman—more specifically a Highway Patrol Officer. I thought that would be a good springboard into politics. I even began my college studies and received my Associate Degree in the Administration of Justice. The more thought about it though, the less I felt qualified to pursue this endeavor. I was concerned for my personal safety as well as the feelings of my loved ones if something were to happen to me. On top of that, I found I have an aptitude for management and leadership and, after I realized these are the gifts that God has blessed me with, I plunged headlong into my career in retail management, knowing that He would let me know if I made the wrong decision. At first, I was not really happy with my decision. How glamorous is retail management, after all? As I would soon find out, the decision led not just to a career, but to my vocation as well. If I had not continued working for McDonald’s, I would not have met and married Marilyn, we would not have had children, and I am positive I would not be as happy and fulfilled as I am today.

The two persons in Sunday’s readings, Isaiah and Peter, were both called, but felt unworthy to accept their calls until they were strengthened and encouraged by God. In today's reading from the first chapters of Isaiah, the young prophet is aware of his sinfulness as he experiences a vision of God on His throne about to make a decision. Whom will God send as His messenger to clean up the mess left by King Uzziah and bring the people back to fidelity? After one of the heavenly seraphim has touched a burning coal to his lips (Man, that had to hurt!), Isaiah now feels worthy enough to cry out, "Here I am! Send me!" And so, Isaiah's whole life's work begins.


The gospel portrays an unforgettable day on the Lake of Gennesaret. Simon Peter and his partners, James and John, are tired and discouraged after a night of fruitless fishing. Jesus prevails on them to let Him use their boat as a pulpit. After Jesus has preached a while to those on the shore, He dares to ask these tired fishermen to try just once more. Simon must have thought, "He's a good preacher, but He doesn't know much about fishing!" However, Peter obeys, and puts out to the deep. To his amazement, the nets are filled to breaking with huge fish. In panic, Simon calls for help. Now the two boats are in danger of capsizing as they carefully head for shore.Like Isaiah, Simon feels unworthy. He falls on his knees, crying out, "Depart from me, O Lord, for I am a sinful man." With amazing powers of persuasion, Jesus says to Simon Peter, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men." They leave a profession they know very well, for a new life filled with uncertainty and danger. And not just Simon Peter but also his partners James and John are willing to take the same risk. While we may not have the stature of an Isaiah or a St. Peter, God knows better than we do what vocation in life will make us truly happy and fulfilled.

The wisdom of God often seems like foolishness to humans. Jesus that day issued an invitation. Simon Peter, James and John had trust enough to answer it!

We must pray every day that young people (and older people, too) will have the courage and the humility to answer God's call to the consecrated life and to the Priesthood. They need a lot of encouragement from their families, the Christian community and close friends who know them.

No comments: