When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, February 5, 2010

Focus, Focus, Focus

It's so gratifying to know that the Holy Spirit knows what I need when I need it, because I often get so self-involved that I forget the important things in life.

Take today, for instance.

I wanted to go to the Adoration Chapel and read some Scripture, any Scripture while in the Presence of Christ. I seem to get more understanding of it when He's right there to help me. Anyway, I thought as a lark I would just open the Bible that is there and read whatever Book it opened up to. It opened to Sirach. This struck me as providential, because I was reading an article in Liguorian magazine just yesterday that described the book of Sirach by many other names. The introduction to the article says: "Some call it The Wisdom of Jesus Ben Sira. The New Revised Standard Version of the Bible calls it The Wisdom of Jesus Son of Sirach, and The New American Bible calls it Sirach, the Greek form of the name. It is also known as Ecclesiasticus, Latin for "Book of the Church," a designation that probably stems from the book's frequent use as a kind of catechism in the early centuries of the Western Church."

On top of that, the first Mass reading today is from Sirach!

I've decided that since the Lord appears to want me to read this book, I will try to get it done in the next week or so. I've already got some pretty good ideas on some blogs I can write about this very interesting book, but no more time for writing tonight.

So I will close by saying, Thank You Lord for keeping me focused as I try to set an example for my family, that they may come to know and love You as I do.

No comments: