When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

A Father's Prayers of Petition

As the guardian of my family, that I constantly instill Catholic values, I pray to the Lord.


When I am discouraged and weary, give me the grace to be strong, I pray to the Lord.

To be a source of patience, understanding and love to my family, I pray to the Lord.


To teach my children always to do Your will, using the Blessed Mother and Saint Joseph as examples, I pray to the Lord.


Help me willingly and joyfully to accept the sacrifices I must make for the common good of my family, I pray to the Lord.


Help me to instill in my children a love for Jesus and His Church so that they will be witness to others, I pray to the Lord.

In gratitude for my Father

Dear God, the Father of us all, Father of Life, I thank you for my father. Along with my mother, through the marvel of your creation, my father gave me the gift of life itself. He was such a blessing to me while he was still with us. I still miss him so much. He was such a good teacher and mentor, such a wonderful example of how to live a life of faith. I thank you for what he left me as gifts of love and faith. I pray that he has enjoyed your embrace and that the relationship he and I had might someday be renewed with you in heaven. Until then, I entrust him to your love and ask you to let him look out for me and to assist me to stay on the path to you. Please take care of him now and be generous with him as you prepare him for the rewards of eternal life you have prepared for him.


====================================================
“Dadisms” are a dad's favorite way to teach his kids the basics of life.
Here are a few “dadisms” I can remember hearing when growing up, and that I have probably said to my kids, despite my best efforts at avoiding using some of them:

•Don't ask me, ask your mother.
•You snooze, you lose.
•A little dirt never hurt anyone--just wipe it off..
•I'm not just talking to hear my own voice!
•Stop crying or I'll give you a reason to cry.
•You're gonna like it, whether you like it or not!
•If your friend jumped off a bridge would you?
•Don't look at me in that tone of voice!
•What do you think this is, your birthday?
•What part of NO don't you understand?
•I don't care what other people are doing! I'm not everybody else's father!
•Didn't your teacher learn you anything?!
•Two wrongs do not make a right.
•Don't use that tone with me!
•Am I talking to a brick wall?
•Enough is enough!
•Don't make me stop the car!
•What did I just get finished telling you?
•Act your age.
•Is that a threat, or a promise? (Likewise)
•We’ll get there when we get there!
•Go tell your mother she wants you.
•Who said life was supposed to be fair?
•Life is a journey and you've just reached one of many speed bumps to come.
•As long as you tried your hardest, that's all that matters.
•If ifs and buts were candy and nuts then we'd all have a merry Christmas.
•Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
•If you're gonna be dumb, you've gotta be tough.
•Worrying about things you can't change is like a rocking chair... it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.
•It's hard to be good, and easy to be bad.
•What do you think I am, a bank?
•You didn't beat me. I let you win.
•This will hurt me a lot more than it hurts you.
•We're not lost. I'm just not sure where we are.
•If you can’t be good, be careful.
•I'll tell you why. Because I said so. That's why.
•Do what I say, not what I do.
•I'm not sleeping, I'm resting my eyes.
•That's not a tear, I have something in my eye.

No comments: