When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, June 18, 2010

Learn to focus on things that matter

When I first read the passages from Chronicles and from Matthew presented on Saturday they did not seem to belong together. Chronicles relates a wrathful Lord, one Who is intent on providing the Jewish people with the lesson of the day – transgress the Lord’s commands and find themselves smashed by invading Arameans. Jesus, on the other hand, provides a most spiritual message – detach yourselves from material goods and wants, and be more trusting, as are the birds and the wildflowers.

But when I reflected on these passages later, it seemed to me that they are related after all. The princes of Judah engaged in conduct that demonstrated they had lost their focus, had taken an easier way, had mistaken the value of their gift from God and thus placed short-term expediency over long-term growth. They ceased to be other-directed and focused on the Lord, and were more self-directed and focused on self. I can only think of our country today. We’ve taken prayer out of the picture altogether it seems, and built a culture of self-reliance that will only lead us further away from God unless we regain our senses and remember Who gave us our “self” in the first place. Self-reliance is not necessarily a bad thing, as long it is used for the greater glory of God and directed toward loving our families, friends, and yes, even enemies as we love ourselves.

Jesus tells His listeners that they should focus on things that matter and not those that are distractions. Jesus challenges His listeners to live more simply, less acquisitively, more spiritually. Jesus encourages us to be more faith-filled and less troubled by the things we are powerless to change. We are all guilty of this. I frequently have trouble concentrating on the Mysteries when I’m saying the rosary. Instead, I wonder how my day is going to go tomorrow, or even worse sometimes I even lament on how my day today has gone! What’s the sense in that? What’s done is done! It can’t be redone! I have to refocus on Christ and the Gospel (the Good News!) that he proclaims. That gives me hope for the things I have to do tomorrow and provides me with the direction I need to focus on Jesus as He presents Himself to me through those whom I interact with throughout the day.

Three recent incidents have occurred that made me feel (and forgive me, Lord, if this sounds egotistic or prideful) that I’m getting closer to being on the right track spiritually and evangelically, even if not consistently.

Yesterday, Mom and I were talking to a woman who said she “used to go to the Catholic church, and would like to go again, but I can’t.” I should have asked her right then what she meant, then reassured her that it’s never too late to come home and ask for forgiveness. But I wasn’t thinking evangelically then, and the moment passed and didn’t re-present itself. What strikes me now as I think of it again is that I felt a real sorrow that she was allowing anything to keep her from the Body of Christ. It was like an ache in my own heart.


Today, my boss said something very mildly crass as a joke and immediately apologized to me for allowing me to hear it. I mean it was VERY mild, and the fact that he thought it might have offended me actually made me feel good for HIS sake! I didn’t feel offended, but I took his apology as an apology to the Body of Christ and in my mind’s eye, I could see Jesus smile!

Then I had someone else today ask me if I thought there would be any changes to the Church under Benedict XVI’s papacy vs. Pope JPII. I said I don’t think there will be any changes in regards to faith and morals between the two because they were both chosen by the Holy Spirit to lead the Church in the direction Jesus intends it to go. He said he didn’t think it was important WHAT church someone went to, as long as he believed in God and Jesus Christ. I told him that while that IS the bottom line, I feel that it’s also important to be a member of the Church that Christ Himself founded upon the “rock” that is Peter. All I feel qualified to do at this stage of my spiritual development is to plant seeds and trust that Jesus, through the Holy Spirit, will cultivate the soil, water the seeds and reap the harvest.

No comments: