When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Staying ready is the best strategy

It is interesting that people who are in the process of dying usually appreciate the value of each moment of life. Family and friends often hang onto each moment with the person and those times are vivid in their memories for years to come. What if we could live each day like that throughout our lives?



We are reminded in the gospel reading from St. Matthew that we are to "stay awake, for we do not know when the Lord will come." (Matthew 24:44)


It is often stated that we can judge a person's character by how they act when no one is watching. We need to remember that God is always with us, and in fact He watches with us. I might ask myself the rhetorical questions, "How do I live my life? Am I looking back over my shoulder, as though afraid of when the Lord will come, or instead, with arms open to fully live and relish each moment I have received from God?" Life is precious! Ask the dying person.


In an episode of the Simpsons, Bart says he plans to live a debauched life and then go for a deathbed conversion. I guess that works if you know when you’re going to die, but since you don’t always know the day or the hour, that plan can backfire.

One of my co-workers recently experienced the loss of his father. When I was able to see him and offer my condolences, he told me that his father was born Catholic and, while he was a good man in many ways he never really practiced his faith, or wanted much to do with it for that matter, as happens with so many these days. But he was fortunate—he had several days notice that he was going to die, and made arrangements to have a priest come in to the hospital room and administer the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist. It not only made for a peaceful death for my friend’s dad, but for my friend and his family as well. Praise God! My friend said he knew this story would elate me, because he knows the importance I place on God’s good graces. And even though I never met his father, my heart soared knowing that he died in a state of grace and is hopefully already in the presence of our Lord and Savior. I need all the friends in Heaven I can get!


Jesus says to be ready at any time. When the boss is away, the employees will goof off. But if the boss comes back early, the employees who are doing their work will be rewarded, and those who are partying will be let go. We need to be ready at any time. We don’t know when our time is up and we can’t always count on having time to make things right, like my friend’s father.

No comments: