When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Under the fig tree, high on the Lord!

I seriously considered changing the name of my blog to “Under the Fig Tree” after reading, then listening to today’s Gospel. I was actually kind of amused that of all great words I could have chosen to meditate on, the first thing that “spoke to me” was the fig tree.


When I think of fig trees, the first words that come to mind are “shade” and “refreshing”. The leaves are large (big enough to cover our nakedness), the branches are thick, and the shade that it provides is cool and refreshing, especially on hot summer days. It’s pretty much the way I think of the Church. The leaves represent the teachings and promises of Christ through the Scriptures. The branches remind me of His promise that the Church will remain strong and even continue to grow under the Pope (Peter and his successors)—“Even the gates of hell will not prevail against it”. (Matthew 16) The shade provided by the fig tree is the comfort I get from the joyful hope that a belief in Christ brings to me. I know, I know. It’s a stretch for an analogy, but that’s what happens when I try to meditate in the heat!

Another thought on today’s gospel: Who wouldn’t want a friend like Philip? Someone who is so convicted in his faith that even a snide remark (“Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”) won’t turn him away from inviting you to see the Truth?  How many times have we backed off of our evangelistic efforts because of a snide remark?
========================================


On these hot summer days and evenings, it’s hard to meditate. I mean really hard to meditate, especially after a 12-hour working day. I start to get a thought, then—POOF!—it’s gone. Thankfully, meditating on the rosary is not so difficult, because I say it in “Scriptural” format, using various printed Scripture verses between Hail Marys. But trying to maintain a meditation on the day’s readings when it’s soooo hot is really difficult.

I had an unexpected encounter in Modesto today with a guy who goes to St. Anne’s in Lodi. I see him quite often when I am able to go to daily mass there. He is a sacristan for the Saturday masses and he is a Eucharistic Minister who distributes the Precious Blood during the daily mass. We got into a conversation about Father Jairo, who is leaving in a week or so to his new assignment in Turlock. Jim said he had to speak to Fr. Jairo after mass recently. It seems Father likes to pour a bit more wine into the chalice than most of the other priests. Then the wine is turned into the Blood of Christ and given to those who want to receive Our Lord under both Species. When Communion is over, the minister consumes any of the Blood that is remaining, and the priest cleans the chalice. Jim said he had to tell Father to cut back a bit when pouring the wine, because if he ever got stopped on the way home and had to tell the police that he was “high on Our Lord Jesus Christ”, he would be put in jail for sure! And then he would have to call Father for bail money! It gave me a good laugh for the rest of the day.

No comments: