When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Men for All Seasons

I am the 4th of my mother’s 5 sons. Bob was first, then Dick, then Bill. Mom had a couple of miscarriages, then I arrived (with some help, due in great part to a novena to Saint Gerard Majella). Our sister Dorothy Anne was next. Tom was last.


This may get me in trouble with my brothers, but I have to admit I have my favorite, the one who sets the best example and gives me the best advice when I need it most. I think what may keep me out of trouble with them is to explain how each of my brothers is my favorite, but for different reasons:


When I’m having spiritual difficulties or doubts about my faith, I can turn to Bob for his help and guidance. His faith in Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church has been unwavering his entire life. I can count on him to put me back on the right path towards Jesus just when I need the redirection the most. His absolute love of the Eucharist is a shining example to all of us.  Very much like St. Peter, I think.


In practical matters of life, Dick has been there and done that. He has a no-nonsense approach to life and usually keeps a cool head in times of crisis. He has a knack for getting to the source of my practical difficulties and suggesting solutions. He is my go-to guy when I need to stay rational and sane.  He reminds me a lot of Sts. Paul and Nathaniel.  (Look it up!)


Then there’s Bill. His special gifts are his compassion and sensitivity for his fellow human beings, especially family, and his humility. Bill has a talent for listening. I mean really listening. He is the brother I seek out when I have an emotional issue to deal with. He also has a very practical outlook on life that I admire. I often think of Bill as a composite of the best traits in both Bob and Dick--A St. John, if you will.


Tom passed away almost 10(!) years ago. What I admired most about him was his joy in being alive. There was nothing he wouldn’t try, regardless of the consequences. His spontaneity in life and his loyalty to his friends are his legacy, as far as I’m concerned. We were the closest in age and the two youngest, so our bond was extra-strength in relation to our older brothers.  He was so much like his namesake--St. Thomas!


What’s truly been a blessing are the women that we each married. Without them, I have a feeling we’d all be lost. God bless all of you.


A very large reason why we are all so different, yet strong in our differences and loyalty to one another is that our Mom and Dad allowed us to be who we were meant to be, gently (and sometimes not so gently) nudging us in the direction we needed to go.


I wrote all of this today because Bob is in the hospital again with some very serious issues that should remind us all that we are all here by the Grace of God, and that He has a plan for all of us.  Please pray for him and for all of my family.

No comments: