When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What to do while waiting for the inevitable

It was tough to concentrate today. We had very special visitors in our area today—all of the top echelon of our company was touring our stores checking for compliance on company programs, policies and procedures.  While I would like to think I don’t worry about such things, I do.  Not because I'm afraid of losing my job, but because I want to do a good job.  The anticipation of the visit and the knowledge that my and my team's observance and adherence to company policies would make the visit either a success or a failure played a big part in my reflections on tomorrow's readings today.  How did we do?  Except for a few really minor, easily correctable issues, the visit went well.  So we're done.  No more worrying about "the visit".  Until next time.  And I know that will come sooner than I expect.  I have to keep teaching and reteaching the "company line" until then. Even more importantly, I have to set the example.  If I let up, the next visit may not be as successful. 

Advent is over. Christ has come! The waiting is over—or is it?  No, we’re not done waiting because we also await His second coming and our entrance into the heavenly kingdom. The first reading shares with us Jesus’ position as the High Priest in heaven, which He obtained through His crucifixion and resurrection. His position and power in heaven are comforting. We know He will be there in the end, having prepared the way with His death.

Yet we must first accept Christ, we must do His will. We cannot sit idly by and just wait for heaven to come to us. The Psalm reminds us that we must proclaim His justice to the world, to the vast assembly, in order to do His will. I’ve reflected on my own work for the Kingdom, asking myself, 'what exactly have I done? Am I doing enough with my prayer, service and advocacy on behalf of the poor and oppressed?' The Psalm answers this – I’m not doing enough. When I seek justice I restrain my lips, we all do, we don’t want to step on toes or incite conflict.

We can’t do that. We must not restrain our lips when we announce Christ’s justice. He didn’t restrain His lips. This is why people descended from the surrounding cities to hear Jesus speak at the sea. People were drawn to His ministry, not because He held back His voice, but because He proclaimed the truth and challenged those who were subverting it.

As we await His second coming we are asked to proclaim His justice in the interim. We are not to go about this timidly but loudly, proclaiming to the vast assembly of those here on earth that our high priest in heaven, Jesus Christ, wants a just world for His return. While I find it comforting knowing that He is there for us, we must make ourselves uncomfortable, we must unfasten our lips and advocate for justice, regardless of the situation.

No comments: