When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, February 21, 2011

Can you hear me now?

It is easy for the Apostles to answer for others when Christ asks “Who do people say that the son of man is?” They give their responses freely and willingly with (I imagine) great zeal and eagerness to please the Lord. However, Christ’s next question: “Who do you say that I am?” seems to silence the group. Instead, they turn to Peter, their leader, for a response.


Peter responds: “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.” Peter comes into himself and his calling to be the first pope in this passage by acknowledging the role that God played in his life.

God asks each and every one of us the same exact question: “Who do you say that I am?” How do you respond to such a personalized question? Because God works in our lives in very personal ways, we must answer this question very personally and intimately with him.

So I’ve come up with 10 questions to try and be specific in my answer to Him:

1. How long have I been in my relationship with God?

2. Do I really know Him on a personal level?

3. How well do I know His mind?

4. Do I know how He works specifically with me in my life?

5. How does He communicate with me?

6. What does God’s voice sound like in my life? We are able to recognize the speech patterns and inflections of the voices of our loved ones. We are able to hear their voice and know who they are without seeing their face. So,

7. Can I do this with God?

8. When He speaks to me, can I recognize the voice of God?

9. And am I able to point His voice out to others?

10. Do I point His voice out with humble confidence? Or is it timidity?


Today let us pray to have the wisdom and perseverance to know the Lord and know how he works in each of our lives, just as Peter did.

No comments: