When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!

I wanted to write a tribute to Mom, who turns 92 today! I can’t do it! It’s not that I don’t love Mom for everything she’s done for me (I mean besides giving birth to me!) or that she hasn’t had many accomplishments I could list. It’s just that everything I wrote sounded more like a eulogy than a tribute, and I don’t think she’s quite ready for a eulogy---maybe in 10 or 15 years. Sorry Mom, you’re just going to have to “settle” for a prayer, instead. Of course the prayer is probably more appreciated than anything else I could write anyway, right?



Lord Jesus, You have known Your Mother’s love and tender care so please hear our prayer for our own mother, your devoted daughter, on this,her special day:


Just as she gave life to her children and has given her best to protect us these many years, please protect her now and let her feel safe in the Light of Life that flows through You.


Take from her all her anxieties and fears and fulfill all of her wishes. If Your will is to refuse her any of those wishes, let even the refusals bring her comfort, as she has comforted her children even in her occasional refusals for our own good.


Though we, her children, can never repay her for all she has given us we have confidence that You will repay her for us one day when she rests in the sweet embrace of Your own Mother.


Amen.

No comments: