When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, March 7, 2011

Counting My Blessings

Even in times of despair and uncertainty, God calls us to trust in him always. Tobit’s worsening case of cataracts (Tobit 2:9-14), increasing to the point of complete blindness, is terrible and would be hard for anyone to cope with. It is not an excuse, however, to go through life in pity of oneself. The way one handles terrible situations defines who one is as a person. Anyone could go through life asking, 'why me, God?' Tobit was not only blinded by his cataracts in his literal vision; he also no longer saw how blessed he was to have people in his life who cared so much about his health and well-being. Tobit’s wife, Anna, worked hard to take care of him, and he should have been thankful for all he still had going for him in his life.


Everything happens for a reason. God is with us in all of our achievements, and God is with us in all of our failures. Over the past few weeks, I have been on “pins and needles” over some organizational changes at work. My area of influence has been cut in half. Unfortunately, the half that I am left with is the half furthest from home. Since I also had to turn in the company car for budgetary reasons, I will be forced to use my own vehicle and gas to get to my daily assignments. It will also require that I continue to be away from home for a week at a time, with every other weekend (Saturday and Sunday) off. But hey!-Thank God!-I'm still employed!  I will be allowed to continue taking every Sunday off. This was non-negotiable, as I take my responsibility to worship God (and get Mom to Mass) very seriously. I can also continue to attend daily Mass most of the time and nothing will keep me from at least one hour a week in Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament—as Archbishop Fulton J Sheen used to say, an “hour of power”.

For me, it is crucial to stay motivated and goal-oriented: to keep the faith. I see all my friends and family supporting me, and I understand how blessed I am to have so many wonderful people around me. I do not want to let them down; I will not let them down. I know this because I am blessed with the strength of faith and a trust in an ever-merciful Christ.

I have so many things going for me in my life right now. If I have learned anything, I have learned to ALWAYS TRUST in God.

====================================================================

I am having a very hard time deciding what my sacrifice will be this Lenten season.  I am tempted (probably the wrong word to use when describing Lent--but I digress) to let my absence from my family due to my new job perameters be the "something to give up".  Somehow, that doesn't seem to be enough.  Maybe I'll take a cue from Mom, who said she's going to read some Holy Scripture every day in addition to her already monumental prayer life.  I can probably do both. Whatever I choose to do, I know the Holy Spirit will be with me to support me, so how can I go wrong?

No comments: