When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Plan for Lent (I hope!)

Each year Lent stealthily comes upon us. The Gospel on Ash Wednesday is a perfect instruction of how to carry ourselves during the season of Lent, which is marked by our attempts to become more pious. While we all hope for success, that very success can be the undoing of our journey for personal betterment.

Contentment often follows success and pride often follows contentment. Matthew 6 concerns piety, and piety has no room for either. It’s important to note that the Gospel isn’t just commanding us to humble ourselves outwardly, but inwardly as well (6:3). Striking the balance between restlessness and pessimism is a hidden challenge of Lent but one that is decisive to successful betterment.


Inevitably, the question will arise, “What are you doing for Lent?” Many of us find this question to be uncomfortable.   Lent is the period of time that Jesus retreated into the desert to face the temptations he was bound to encounter; for this reason we “give up” our own temptations.  The more I reflect on Lent the more I realize that gone are the days of giving up soda and candy; I've found those to be too easy. Ironically, during Jesus’ seclusion in the desert, “giving up” something is never mentioned. To give up something implies that we have a right to that something and are willing to sacrifice that right. What Jesus did, he did for God and his relationship with the Father.  So whatever I do this Lent, I want to do it for God and my relationship with His Son.

With this reflection in mind, I was still trying to get some ideas for something different to do for Lent this year when I came across the old version of the Stations of the Cross.  A new version, used by Pope John Paul II in 1991 is also found on line, and encouraged by the USCCB. 

Since almost every church still has the "old" stations, my plan will be to visit whatever church is available to me on any given Friday during lent and to walk and pray the old version of the Stations.  Because I am also very intrigued by the new version, I am going to use those meditations as an "addendum" to my nightly rosary.  And, I will post a depiction of one station along with a short meditation on my blog every day (starting tonight).  Please pray for me, that I may be able to "stick to the plan".

Wouldn’t it be amazing if this Lent no one asked, “What are you giving up?” But rather, we asked of ourselves, “What are you putting in?” Lent should be a season of working towards a deeper relationship with God. Relinquishing sinful behaviors is one thing, but it’s not enough to merely trim the vine; we must also bear fruit (John 15).

=======================================================================
Station 1
Jesus is Condemned to Death by Crucifixion

We adore Thee, O Christ, and bless Thee.  Because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world.

Jesus, you stand all alone before Pilate. Nobody speaks up for you. Nobody helps defend you. You devoted your entire life to helping others, listening to the smallest ones, caring for those who were ignored by others. They don't seem to remember that as they prepare to put you to death.

As a child, sometimes I feel alone. Sometimes I feel that others don't stand up for me and defend me when I am afraid. Sometimes I don't feel like I am treated fairly, especially if I am scolded or corrected.

As an adult, sometimes I feel abandoned and afraid as well. Sometimes I too, feel like I am treated unfairly or blamed for things unfairly. I have a hard time when people criticize me at home or at work.

Help me be grateful for what you did for me. Help me to accept criticism and unfairness as you did, and not complain. Help me pray for those who have hurt me.

My Jesus, often have I signed the death warrant by my sins; save me by Thy death from that eternal death which I have so often deserved.

Our Father....
Hail Mary....
Glory Be to the Father....

Jesus Christ Crucified,  have mercy on us.
May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, Rest in peace.
Amen.

No comments: