When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Standing at the right side of the Father to welcome those who give their all

The day after Christmas is the feast of St. Stephen; the first martyr, my namesake, and my patron saint.  When reading about him today, I focused on a line I haven’t really paid attention to before.   "Behold, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." This line caused the mob to drag Stephen outside of the city and stone him.

We read in the gospels and we recite in our creed about Jesus being seated at the right hand of the Father, but in this instance He is standing and not seated. What a glorious image that the King of kings stands to welcome His first martyr and I wonder if He has stood every time He has received one who gave it all for the kingdom.  My thoughts were turned to something Mom related to me this morning.

While visiting my brothers and sisters-in-law for Christmas, she was able to get to confession.  She prefers (as I do) to confess to the priest face-to-face.  When she sat down in front of Father, he stated he recognized her, but he didn’t think she was a member of his parish.  She told him that she was (my brother) Bob’s mother.  He told her that he would never forget Bob, and that Bob was a big help to him when he first arrived as the pastor and whenever anything was needed, my brother was right there, whether he could walk that day or not.  He would find a way to serve his church community in any way he could.  Mom said it was great for a parent to hear such good things about a child of theirs.  I know the feeling.  She said Bob’s wife, Marilyn, cried when she heard the story.  I must admit I did, too.  It makes me wonder if Jesus stood to welcome Bob, as well.  We can hope.  

The story of St. Stephen and the Gospel of Matthew (Matthew 10:17-22) combine for a powerful and maybe uncomfortable message. Doing the right thing is hard. Sometimes it can be dangerous, and, as in the case of Stephen and other martyrs, doing the right thing and speaking with the Spirit can be fatal. In the Gospel, the message to the disciples is a grim one, reminiscent of much of what we see and hear happening around the world today. People do inconceivable things to each other in distant places and around the corner.  Why do these things happen? Who lets that happen?

We see hateful things every day. Perhaps we can’t do much about the world’s problems, but we can do something about our own lives. We have to stand up and do the right thing every day. When someone is being demeaned by another person, we can ask God, as Jesus says in the Gospel, to give us what to say, for the grace and wisdom to speak up and stop the tiny bits of hate, of people treating others as less than human. We treat people as less than human when we gossip, when we let an unkind remark go by, when we witness something cruel. While we may not be the ones doing the deed, our roles as silent bystanders help build up those little bits of hate.

We often let ourselves off the hook by thinking these small things don’t matter. I don’t want to make a scene, we say to ourselves. I worry what others might thing, we say to ourselves.  It’s time to change that message to ourselves. I will speak up because it’s the right thing to do. I will ask God for the grace and wisdom. As the psalm says, “Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your kindness.” (Psalm 31:3cd-4, 6 and 8ab, 16bc and 17)

Reading over the account of Stephen’s life, ministry and ensuing martyrdom in Acts Chapters 6 and 7, I find myself humbled. Here is a man, so in love with his Savior, so full of faith and belief in the promises of the life to come that he gives no thought to the persecutions of this world. Here is a man who didn’t hesitate to spread the good news, a man who literally gave his earthly life for the sake of sharing Jesus’ message, and a man who didn’t need to think twice about if this exchange was “worth” it. Here is a man who truly reflected what it means to be an evangelist, to be someone who believes so strongly in Jesus’ message of salvation and love that he was willing to give his own life in the process of sharing this great story with all he encountered.  Here is a man who truly gave his life for Jesus’ sake…and in doing so gained eternal life (Matthew 16:25).

Unlike Stephen, I often find myself placing my own personal comfort level above the call to share Jesus’ message of salvation. Too often I find myself hiding behind pretenses of “it’s just not the right moment” or “that would make things awkward” when faced with moments of opportunity to speak Jesus’ message to friends, acquaintances, coworkers, etc. Too often I neglect to realize how miniscule these concerns are when compared to eternal life. Am I really so concerned with how people perceive me, what they think about me, that I refrain from sharing God’s love with them? Am I really so focused on myself that I cannot step out of my comfort zone to proclaim the most important news known to mankind? Sometimes (well, more like most of the time) I am. I lose sight of what matters, what is lasting versus what is not. I forget that I am here for a greater purpose than to feel comfortable, be liked, etc. I am here by the grace of God, called according to his purpose…a purpose that is undeniably centered on sharing His offer of love, grace and eternal life.

My prayer today is that I might embrace this purpose, this higher calling, more wholeheartedly. That I might live a life more like Stephen’s…a life focused on sharing the message of salvation and love extended to us by our heavenly Father. A life that keeps Jesus at the center, a life that isn’t dictated by my perceived comforts and discomforts. My prayer is that I would be granted the grace and courage necessary to share Jesus’ message of love, hope and salvation with all those I am blessed to encounter throughout this life.


No comments: