When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Listening for His voice, Hoping for conversion


I was finally able to get to Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament today!  If I can’t receive Christ physically in the Eucharist, being able to just sit (or kneel) in His presence and listen to Him speak to me spiritually is a very extraordinary alternative.  If I were to say I heard Jesus’ voice in a real sense, even I would question my sanity.  No, I’m no Joan of Arc.  I’m just an everyday sinner looking for forgiveness and consolation from the only One who can give them to me.  Rather, I believe I hear the voice of Jesus through the workings of the Holy Spirit as I read the Scriptures or meditate on the Mysteries of the Rosary or—as happened today—meditating on just being in His very Presence!   

Adoration for me is a good reminder of the Conversion of St. Paul. Once a murderous persecutor of Christ’s followers, he encountered Jesus in a supernatural way and was forever changed.

Perhaps one could argue that because St. Paul had a supernatural experience of God, it was easier for him than it is for us to mend our ways. Though to some extent that might be true, it is still worthy for us to meditate on how we encounter God and the opportunities the encounter gives us to significantly change ourselves and others.

In truth, aren’t all encounters with God extraordinary? How about the rising and the setting of the sun, the myriads of singing songbirds, the variety and coloration of blooming flowers, and the uniqueness of each falling snowflake? Aren’t these extraordinary experiences and manifestations of God?

If so, what then of the Holy Sacraments? Have they, like so many other things, been relegated to the realm of the ordinary so that becoming an heir of the Kingdom, having forgiveness of our sins, and receiving the Body and Blood of Christ, are no big deal?  Are Holy Orders and Matrimony so disrespected that they are no longer the bedrocks of society but its laughingstocks? 

If that seems to be the case, let’s pray for the grace of conversion, to get knocked off of OUR high horse, to be blinded by the LIGHT and then healed not only for our own salvation, but as it was for St. Paul, for the conversion and salvation of the world.

No comments: