When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Thursday, February 14, 2013

A prayer for engaged couples


My daughter Sarah is getting married in October to Tony, a wonderful man who obviously loves and respects her.  I’m excited for them and I know they will have a long and lasting love in the sight of God.  I know they realize the great gift God has given them in one another. 

On Twitter today, I was sent the following prayer that I thought is just beautiful.  It reminded me of the prayers of Tobiah and Sarah (Tobit 8: 5-8).

As I read it, I realized the words could be changed slightly and be just as beautiful for married couples to pray. 

Thanks to Ignatius Press for the “tweet”.  It was quite appropriate for Valentine’s Day.  

PRAYER OF ENGAGED COUPLES

Father, in my heart love has come alive for a person you made, and whom you too know and love. It was you who brought me to meet her (him) and come to know her (him), as once, in paradise, you brought Eve and Adam together so that man should not remain alone. I thank you for this gift. It fills me with profound joy. It makes me like you, who are love itself, and brings me to understand the value of the life you have given me.

Help me not to squander the riches you have stored in my heart. Teach me that love is a gift that must not be suffocated by selfishness; that love is pure and strong and must not be soiled or corrupted; that love is fruitful and should, beginning even now, open up a new life for myself and the person who has chosen me.

Loving Father, I pray for the person who is thinking of me and waiting for me, and who has placed in me complete trust for the future; I pray for this person who will walk along the path of life with me; help us to be worthy of one another and to be an encouragement and example to one another. Help us to prepare for marriage, for its grandeur and for its responsibilities, so that the love which fills us body and spirit may rule our lives for evermore.

Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Image: The Betrothal of Mary by Gulácsy Lajos

No comments: