When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, February 18, 2013

Be Holy


When I reflect on the words, “be holy” as a call to be like God, because God is holy, part of me wants to run far away—and fast!  I want to say that I can’t do this, that I can’t be holy like God because I’m NOT God – end of story! However, in a reading from Leviticus (Leviticus 19:1-2, 11-18), we are told that part of being holy is doing justice to others. We are to treat others with respect and fairness, whether they are seeking wages, whether they are deaf or blind, or whether they are someone who is difficult to deal with. We are to love our neighbors, and the text doesn’t seem to give us the choice to pick and choose whom we will love. God’s measuring stick, even though I oftentimes don’t want to use it and don’t want to be measured by it, is a challenge for most of us.

I have an easy time loving my granddaughter--when things seem to be going well, she is behaving in reasonable ways, and there are no crises. However, there are also times when she pushes boundaries, and behaves in ways that frustrate me. It’s at these times, when I feel pushed as a grandparent and I find out about my true character, my ability to do justice and love my not so lovable (at that moment) grandbaby.  I can sometimes step back and take the long view, and invite her to keep growing as she experiences life’s ups and downs. There are other times when I react or overreact to something she says or does. I find that when I reflect on my behavior that there’s often something I can learn about my abilities as a grandparent and about God’s love. I can offer an apology when appropriate, if I was out of line. Even though she's only 4 years old I can also ask for what I need from her, and be clear about my expectations.  She's a smart girl.  She understands. Marilyn is a real blessing and a great example for me as she strives for consistency in teaching and consequences.  I grab the opportunity often to pray in thanksgiving for my wife as a partner in our efforts to help Alicia in raising Lily to be a good Christian, as well as for grace and guidance from the Holy Spirit.

There may be an opportunity for each of us in our day, to look at how we are doing justice today, to all our neighbors. We may also be able to ask “how am I sharing God’s love today?” This focus may help us to love God more deeply and follow God’s ways more closely.  May we seek Christ today in all our encounters and love Him as we find His Presence in them.

No comments: